A natural pick me up remedy

Has anyone got any tips for a natural pick me up when you are feeling poorly?

Have just finished antibiotics for 2 severe ear infections and have been told that it could be weeks to heal up.....add to that I now have a very sore throat (all part and parcel of the ear infection apparently:() and have conjunctivitus in 2 eyes (yes I am completely falling apart:rotfl:) and I am taking the recommended pain relief but any vitamins or natural remedies that could help me as I feel pretty wiped out:(

(not after any medical advice as I have already been seen by the doctor and given relevent meds and medical advice)

Comments

• xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Most importantly I would make sure you have a healthy balanced diet, plenty of water and lots of rest. As simple as it sounds it can often be all you need.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    You poor thing, hope you'll be ok soon!

People usually feel rotten after antibiotics cos they kill off your "good" bacteria. So a probiotic (preferably with prebiotics) supplement from the pharmacy would help with this and is good for your immune system in general. Or probiotic yoghurts (but the supplements are better).

Try to avoid the bad stuff (refined carbs etc), lots of the good stuff (veggies, fruit, water, lean protein, wholegrains, healthy oils), and a bit of gentle exercise. Plenty of rest is important too as vicki says. If you don't eat healthily you could consider a multivitamin/mineral for a few months.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Bubby
    Bubby Posts: 793 Forumite
    I did manage to get some of those yoghurt drinks with probiotic in them so hopefully that should help. I am used to the throat infections I usually get at least one per month but these ear infections are something else:(:(

I am trying to rest, at the weekend my husband is at home to help but unfortunately during the week I am on my own with school runs etc and believe me when I say I am literally dragging myself to the school gates where I have no energy and am in so much pain:(:(
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Sounds horrible Bubby. I think you should listen to you body - which seems to be saying, stop making me do things, I need to rest! Easier said than done I know. If the yoghurts don't help, have a chat with your pharmacist, will save you another trip to the Dr! Take care of yourself.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Bubby
    I know I do need to rest up for a few days but if I don't take the children to school they won't get there so it is a catch 22 situation. I have no problem keep going back to the doctors and in fact they were as baffled as me to see that when I went back the infection in my ears were still there but we have drops now and pure codeine for the pain (evil stuff - makes me sick) so I will see how I go for the next few days. They did say that ear infections can take a few weeks to heal up:(

In terms of a balanced diet what does this mean? I am thinking fruit and veg protein and carbs no extras?
  • Quintus
    Quintus Posts: 105 Forumite
    There's no quick fix or any miracle "extras" I'm afraid. Diet and good fluid intake is very important. Apart from that, it really is rest and waiting for your body to heal. Its not terribly exciting, but you've got to give it some time.

Hope you're back up to strength again soon.
    "I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde
  • Bubby
    I was hoping for a quick fix wasn't I:o

What foods would you include (i.e alot of vit c?)
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Hi Bubby,
    I'm not a nutritionalist and there are a lot of different schools of thought as to what constitutes a "heathly diet" but for what it's worth I would say it is:

At least 5 portions of fruit and veg (actually it should me more like 10) a lot of people don't know what a portion is so an idea is to do some research online of your favourits and pin a list to your fridge so you know and get a feel for how much you should eat. If you aim to eat a "rainbow" of different colours and try and mix it up a bit you should get all of your vitamins and minerals.

Protein is important as it helps you grow and your body to repair itself. Not all needs to be animal protein, lentils, pulses and oats etc are all great too. Try not to eat too much red meat.

Try to avoid processed foods where you can

When you eat carbohydrates it is better to choose whole grains and complex carbs, choose brown over white as a rule. Brown rice, bread, pasta are generally better for you.

Obviously there are other things to consider such as getting fresh air and exposure to sunlight and dairy or other calcium sources are also important.

There are supplements you can take to give you a boost but they will do little if you don't have the basics in place.

I appreciate that you need to do the school run but can you get some rest while they're at school at all?
  • thevicster
    thevicster Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon! I had a ear and eye infection a while ago and they really are evil (I looked like I'd been punched in the face as it was so swollen and my eye was blood red!). I should treat yourself to a bit of choc (70% cocoa of course for the health benefits :D - if you can taste it of course). Maybe try some Beroca or a cheaper alternative? Might give you a bit of a lift? Hope you feel better soon :)
    I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul, I want you to notice when I'm not around[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March 2010 at 11:42AM
    Can you use this to help you check you're getting enough iron in your diet? Iron defficiency can cause tiredness and lethargy.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthissues/irondeficiency/

As a general note, there is a note in this link on how higher tea and coffee intake can hinder the body in absorbing iron from food.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport