Packaged account mis-selling victims can claim compensation

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    whitewater wrote: »
    at point of sale lloyds do a demands & needs document which shows why you have chose the account, they cant recommend it, they can only give you the info to make a choice.
    I can assure you from personal experience in branch they not only recommend these accounts but push them very hard. I could also hear a member of staff making cold calls to sell these accounts to existing customers.
  • Shirleyk
    Options
    Hello Shirleyk

I work for the Financial Ombudsman Service - the free service set up by law with the power to sort out problems between consumers and financial businesses. A business has up to 8 weeks in which to look at a complaint - however if you do not get a response or you are not satisfied with the response the ombudsman service may be able to help on 0300 123 9 123.

Thanks
    Phillipa

Thanks for your reply. Today I received a letter from the Complaints Department of Lloyds TSB. Apparrently my first letter was never received by them. Anyway, they are refusing to refund any money to me. They said that there was notes on my file saying that "the home emergency cover was the main benefit for me". This is rubbish as I have Home Emergency Cover with my Buildings and Contents Insurance through another provider. Also, they said that an earlier reference on my account was that I had received preferential rates on a personal loan. They say that they are surprised that I am claiming now when I cancelled the packaged bank account in 2007. This was when I discovered that I did not have to pay for a bank account. I was told at the time of selling the packaged account that accounts were being changed over and I did not have the option of a free account. Anyway, I am totally dissatified with their reply. The letter is actually quite impudent and certainly not what I would call "customer caring". Anyway, what should I do now? Should I contact the FOS by telephone or letter? What method I use, what are my chances of a successful outcome? As we all know Lloyds TSB have taken advantage of many customers over the years by "smooth talking salesmen" in a bid to make a fast buck. Thanks in advance for your reply.
  • Shirleyk
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I can assure you from personal experience in branch they not only recommend these accounts but push them very hard. I could also hear a member of staff making cold calls to sell these accounts to existing customers.

I agree with you entirely. Accounts were mis-sold to many customers including myself. None of the benefits were of any use to me. The way the salesmen (sorry the bank employee) sold the account to me was that my account was being changed and that a basic bank account was no longer available. Obviously I believed them. After all, if you can't trust your bank, who can you trust? Well, we've all found out that this is not the case with recent events but I was left with NO option at the time. I only discovered years later that I was paying for something that I DID NOT ask for or require.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2012 at 10:48AM
    Options
    I can only suggest that you now refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service providing Lloyds TSB say that they have completed their complaints procedure or it is at least 8 weeks since you made the original formal complaint.
  • Shirleyk
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I can only suggest thast youh now refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service providing Lloyds TSB say that they have completed their complaints procedure or it is at least 8 weeks since you made the original formal complaint.

I've written back to Lloyds and challenged their decision. Clearly they did not read my letter properly. My main point was that the Packaged Bank Account was mis-sold to me. Assuming that they do not amend their decision then I will have no hesitation but to go to FOS. Will keep you posted.
  • Borderlander
    Options
    Wrote to my bank 4 weeks ago as a result of reading your item on mis-sold packaged bank accounts - exactly 4 weeks later and Co-op Bank have just credited my account with £863, the whole amount I had paid since opening the account in 2003. Well done Co-op Bank, well done Martin`s Money Tips!
  • Shirleyk
    Options
    Wrote to my bank 4 weeks ago as a result of reading your item on mis-sold packaged bank accounts - exactly 4 weeks later and Co-op Bank have just credited my account with £863, the whole amount I had paid since opening the account in 2003. Well done Co-op Bank, well done Martin`s Money Tips!

I'm pleased for you. At least the Coop have shown the way - the proper way to respond to customers. My battle with Lloyds TSB continues but I will not give in.
  • rockitup
    rockitup Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    I have been with Citibank UK for almost 20 years now using their free account but late 2011 they withdrew that account and just upgraded customers to a Plus account with the usual free travel insurance etc.

The travel insurance is of no use to me as I tend to take a long trip every 2 or 3 years and travel for 3 or 4 months, but the policy only includes something like 31 or 45 days.

As of now I just keep the minimum of 20k in a savings account to avoid fees but would rather be free to invest this 20k outside of Citibank (they charge 3% initial fee plus high annual fees)

Does anybody know if any banks who have withdrawn free accounts from their site have in fact allowed existing customers to keep them?

I have not asked Citibank yet as I did not want to risk having my accounts closed as I use 2 US Dollar accounts with them too and these are handy for my travels and online purchases.
  • Shirleyk wrote: »
    I was one of the victims of mis-selling when I was advised that I had to change my current account to a gold account. It was then upgraded to a platinum account without me being advised. I initially paid £8 for the gold account which was then increased to £10. My account was then upgraded to a platinum account without my consent and an increase to £15. It then increased in February 2007 to £25 which I thought was ridiculous so I went into the branch and was advised that I did not have to pay for a bank account.

To make matters worse, I did not require any of the benefits of either the gold or platinum accounts. I do not drive so don't requrie AA cover. I have pre-existing medical conditions so don't qualify for standard travel insurance. I have card protection through my Contents Insurance Provider so don't require Sentinel Cover. My mobile phone is provided by my work so I do not require that either. In reality the upgraded account was worthless and all it did was lose me money and help Lloyds TSB increase their profits.

I do not have bank statements going years back but I know I was paying from when these accounts were introduced. Can someone advise me when Lloyds TSB introduced these accounts please? Also, can someone give me the address to make a complaint to Lloyds TSB please?

Thank you in advance.

I read ShirleyK's post with interest. I have banked with LTSB since at least 1985 till today. I made a complaint about mis sold PPI at the end of Nov 2011, however I also complained about Packaged accounts (had one since 1995). I NEVER asked for one but was sold a Gold account on the basis that because I money going thru my account at that time did I know I qualified for......etc, etc, etc. When I later applied for a Loan I was told did I know my interest rate would be better if I had a 'Platinum' account. You get the picture. Unfortunately for LTSB I have ALL my bank statements (bar the 1st year) since opening my account and there is a definate pattern. I have paid thousands of pounds in fees and interest over the past 26 years and have NEVER used any of the benefits on my account apart from 'slightly' lower interest on overdrafts and loans, but because of the large amounts we were encouraged to borrow we never noticed any benefit. I trusted LTSB financial advisors and every time we went in for a financial review we ALWAYS left with a new product (also sold life insurance despite having death benefit worth more with my DH employer). We were exploited when we were most vulnerable and have spent years digging ourself out of a financial pit. I expect LTSB to be as prompt in refunding as they were in taking the money from us in the first place, although we are experiencing the same delays as everyone else.

I have a friend who I advised on reclaiming mis sold PPI from Natwest; she only wrote to them last month and has had an offer of almost £10,000. LTSB simply must do better.

The ironic thing is I wrote to them '8' years ago about mis sold PPI and they partially refunuded a couple of loans stating no accecptance of any liability, so at least I can prove that I am not just jumping on the mis sold PPI bandwagon as I had concerns even way back then. I will wait until middle of next week and call again (sigh).

And for those of you wondering why we stayed with LTSB that long, we had to because of our financial obligations to them, although once this is all resolved we will be moving on, they don't deserve our loyalty.

In answer to Shirleyk's question about when these accounts were introduced, they were definately available during the mid 1990's.
  • Former_MSE_Sally
    Options
    Hi all,

Great news Borderlander! Would be great if you could send me a private message or post how and why you reclaimed. Good luck to those of you trying too.

In general we're very interested in all of your experiences of packaged accounts and in particular, whether you've successfully reclaimed and how.

We're currently researching for a new guide due out soonish so would really appreciate your help.

MSE Sally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport