Carers Allowance...backdated?

2»

Comments

• @Cheekyweegit (sorry for calling you that...lol) we aren't in receipt of any benefits, our sole income is an ill health retirement pension circa £14.5k, we've never actually been on benefits and as far as we know, we're probably not entitled to benefits anyway because of the occupational pension and we were prudent and own our own house, mortgage etc cleared a few years ago.

So we would appear to be able then to claim CA although we will be taxed on it , but am I right in reading that she still may be missing out on some sort of "severe disablement" award?

Again to everyone who's taking the time to read and post replies, many, many thanks, the knowledge will be useful when talking to the government bodies who sort these things, just hope now they will speak to us on the phone as conversations with our mum are difficult to say the least...although at times can be quite whimsical....along the lines of "whats on the TV?"....mum answers "half past 4"...you get the drift I'm sure.
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • It does sound like your mum is missing out on money the Extra Amount of Severe Disability (EASD for short), a quick phone call to your local Pension Service Office, and they should sent you out a form called a PC10 for your mum to complete, get this done and returned as soon as possible and if she qualified for the EASD it will be back dated to the start of her Attendance Allowance Claim and could be potentially thousands owed.

If she is for want of a better expression 'getting a little muddled', have you thought about power of attourney? A home visit to your mums with you there could sort this out and you would then be able to deal with her affairs if she is unable to.

Failing this if and when you phone the Pension Service as long as she can answer the security questions unprompted she can then pass the phone to you to speak, does this help?

Anyway, if you go down the paid route for carers allowance for yourself, please still look into the EASD as your mum may still be entitled to EASD until you get your first payment of Carers Allowance, you then let the Pension Service know (although Carers Allowance Department will pass on details you are getting paid), just in case there is a delay in Carers Allowance passing the information on, and it saves any over payment problems as EASD and Paid Carers Allowance are over lapping benefits.

Hopefully this helps once more.

Again any questions and if I can help I'll try.
  • Oh and I noticed the bit about Ill Retirement Pension, are you or have you or your partner claimed Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component? Again you might be able to claim carers there, leaving your mum to claim EASD.

Sorry if that's too personal a question, and feel free to PM me if it's easier if there are things you don't want to put on a public forum, I understand.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    rotoguys wrote: »
    At the last count approx 30% of persons that are known to be entitled to Guaranteed Pension Credit do not claim it!! That's a saving to the government of approx £1.2m per annum!!!

I think you will find that its up to 1.6 million pensioners missing out on 2.93 Billion £'s yearly by underclaiming Pension Credit

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2012/feb-2012/dwp013-12.shtml
  • Oh and I noticed the bit about Ill Retirement Pension, are you or have you or your partner claimed Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component? Again you might be able to claim carers there, leaving your mum to claim EASD.

it seems that although my employer deemed me unable to work again and gave me my full pension entitlement, the government thinks different about my ability to work....wierd I know....lol...

thanks again for everyones input, app forms hopefully in the post....
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure