Real Life MMD: Should my husband move away for a better job?

191011121315»

Comments

• It would worry me to have accumulated so much debt, and have a second child on the way; the last thing you want to do is get further into the red. Try and look at your situation from a dispassionate point of view.

Having got into debt that far, you really have no choice other than to live apart temporarily until you and your husband have cleared it off. Staying in England will achieve nothing, and neither will a joint move to Ireland. Bite the bullet, pare your outgoings to the bone for a while, and rely upon the strength of your relationship to get you through this. It really is surprising just how little you can live on, provided nothing consumable is wasted.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For me, being together and working tghrough financial problems together is far better than ever living apart - so the suggestion of him to German and you to Ireland is totally out of the question in my eyes.

You don't say how long you would both need to stay in Germany for - which I think is important.

I am sure you could bear only being together for the weekends and living in Germany if it a short term option tht pays off your debts and gets you both back to Ireland.

So, unless it is something like a 5 year contract, I would suggest German is your best option as it will get you both what you really want.

The other thing I have always found is if you make a decision and then sleep on it, you will either wake up regretting that decision like crazy - in which case change it! - or you will wake up in a frame of mind to face what you have decided and to get on with it. Ultimately, whatever you decide, you have to go forward with a positive attitude to it.
  • CAPRI1
    CAPRI1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 August 2011 at 11:48PM
    ok the euro is pretty weak and yes i would move, 60n euros an hour, just say yes, the euro is 1.12 to the £.
  • given the problems in europe. say no. At least you settled. We going back to Noosa as there is no current future in the euro and sometimes you should count your losses. Put your money in premium bonds instead
  • sorry we are on mobile internet. but we both say dont go.too many risks. and baby come frist. may all your worries be child ones.
  • Go for it, you'll be happier all round and debt free, eventually.
  • Just thought I would do a quick update to say that after 14 months of commuting back and forth to the UK every week, my OH has gotten a job in Ireland and moved home today.

It was a slong slog but today is the start of the rest of our lives :)
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2012 at 9:14AM
    marich wrote: »
    £60 for an hour's work is nigh on incredible... If he's prepared to put in the hours while he's away from you , then one month's pay will be enough to repay the mill-stone of your debt . Imagine how long it would take you to clear yourselves of it as at present...

Let him go to Germany , you move to your family in Ireland and stay with them for support while you get your own place sorted out . In six months you will have considerable savings and be able to give your baby a great start and have financial security for yourselves .

Sometimes you have to do it - don't hang on to him . It's rarely a chance like this comes along .

Home Is Where The Heart Is !

It does not appear to have worked quite like that though?

Does the field of work for husband offer secure employment in Ireland ? (Giving tax advice to Google's European head office ? :D)

£1 : 1.23 Euro

How is the UK flat getting along?

I hope the kids and the rest of the extended family are healthy and enjoying having the four of you back and living locally.
  • Home Is Where The Heart Is !

It does not appear to have worked quite like that though?

Does the field of work for husband offer secure employment in Ireland ? (Giving tax advice to Google's European head office ? :D)

£1 : 1.23 Euro

How is the UK flat getting along?

I hope the kids and the rest of the extended family are healthy and enjoying having the four of you back and living locally.

Lol! No he has nothing to do with Google!!!

He has secured a permanent job in Ireland that is better paid than the UK and we have a friend that is renting the flat off us indefinitely so all good so far!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business