Anyone used Rointe heaters?

We've currently got storage heaters as we don't have gas but they are proving to be very expensive to use.
A friend has suggested these as a replacement and their sales blurb seems quite convincing but cannot find any real world reviews anywhere

Any advice would be appreciated as we're freezing our bits of!!!

Comments

• Steve17
    Steve17 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2012 at 9:47AM
    Hi
    These are the same heaters as Calortec (check out Argos book) and various other makes.
    They will cost you more than 3 times to run than your night time storage heaters.
    A £20 electric heater of any description (convection, oil filled radiator ect) will cost the same.
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • Hi

Im very familiar with Rointe heaters, they are not the same as calortec, they are a standalone system like nothing on the market. They are very energy efficient, not like standard storage heaters (which do cost 3 times as much), they are proven to cost less to run then some gas central heating systems.

They are the only electric heater on the market to have BISREA approval and is being specified by many councils up and down the country.

Hope this helps.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi

Im very familiar with Rointe heaters, they are not the same as calortec, they are a standalone system like nothing on the market. They are very energy efficient, not like standard storage heaters (which do cost 3 times as much), they are proven to cost less to run then some gas central heating systems.

They are the only electric heater on the market to have BISREA approval and is being specified by many councils up and down the country.

Hope this helps.

Here we go again
  • thills
    thills Posts: 100 Forumite
    yeah, snake oil no longer comes in bottles
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 19 March 2010 at 9:40PM
    Hi

Hope this helps.

I bet you are!!

Over £600 for a single 2kW heater:eek:

http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/th/rointe_thermal_electric_radiators

Well if you are very familiar with them, how about a little bet.

I am stating unequivocally that 'Your' heaters produce no more heat than a £10 2kW fan heater or any other 2 kW heater.

Now prove me wrong - make the explanation as detailed and technical as you wish(I am a chartered electrical engineer) and there are plenty of others with a technical background.

Don't insult our intelligence with the "it is the way the distribute the heat argument". Heat output - Btu will do.

Your brochure is a disgrace!
  • Well what DO tou suggest?? What do you think of Elka [now Elti} ceramic heaters?
  • Cardew
    Well what DO tou suggest?? What do you think of Elka [now Elti} ceramic heaters?

They are exactly the same as all the others of this type - simply electrical heaters that give out no more heat for your bucks(£££s) than a simple £10 fan heater or £20 oil filled radiator.

I don't know how much they cost, but given their brochure and fancy claims I suspect they are yet another firm charging £hundreds for a radiator.

To repeat , yet again, all electrical heating(other than heat pumps) gives out the same heat for the same running cost and any claim that states or implies otherwise, is wrong.

What would I suggest?

Well electrical heating would not be my choice. However in a small property, especially if out at work all day, it can make sense.

Electrical heating has two main advantages.

No maintenance costs, and very low installation cost if you choose wisely. So I would buy some cheap panel heaters and oil filled radiators and a 3kW fan heater to supplement heating and bring a room quickly up to temperature. You can chose a style to suit your taste.

For very little extra money buy timers and remote controls for each of the heaters.
    You can install enough heaters and controls for a 2 bed flat for less than the price some of these firms charge for a single radiator.
  • I am just about to buy Rointe heaters from an electrician who is installing them in my flat. I was checking them out online and found this thread. I told my electrician who said he was doubtful too until he was given this link:

bsria.co.uk/services/testing/certificates/list-by-comopany/rointe/

It looks pretty impressive to me but I am hopeless at this sort of stuff - surely the report proves that they are as good as they claim and it proves they use 60% less energy?

I like the idea of the cost savings and emissions savings but they arent cheap and I dont wnat to get ripped off.

Help please???????
  • Cardew
    edited 14 July 2010 at 12:04PM
    I am just about to buy Rointe heaters from an electrician who is installing them in my flat. I was checking them out online and found this thread. I told my electrician who said he was doubtful too until he was given this link:

bsria.co.uk/services/testing/certificates/list-by-comopany/rointe/

It looks pretty impressive to me but I am hopeless at this sort of stuff - surely the report proves that they are as good as they claim and it proves they use 60% less energy?

I like the idea of the cost savings and emissions savings but they arent cheap and I dont wnat to get ripped off.

Help please???????

Welcome to the forum.

Read the report - comprehensive and excellent!

However IMO the only purpose of commissioning such a report is to use it as a marketing tool to baffle people - and, understandably, it appears to have been successful with you and your electrician.

The report deals with test results, heat distribution, hot spots etc.

However it most definately does not show that they use 60% less energy than any other heater or even 1% less energy.

A £10 fan heater, £20 oil filled heater, or a Rointe heater costing £several hundreds will produce exactly the same amount of heat for the same cost.

I can only repeat what was stated above:
    Well if you are very familiar with them, how about a little bet.

I am stating unequivocally that 'Your' heaters produce no more heat than a £10 2kW fan heater or any other 2 kW heater.

Now prove me wrong - make the explanation as detailed and technical as you wish(I am a chartered electrical engineer) and there are plenty of others with a technical background.

Don't insult our intelligence with the "it is the way the distribute the heat argument". Heat output - Btu will do.

Your brochure is a disgrace!

Why don't you ring BSRIA, who tested them, and ask them about heat output of Rointe heaters against the heat output of any other heaters?

Ring WHICH or the Energy Saving Trust for confirmation of what I have stated.

Better still get on to the Trading Standards office if you have anything making these claims in writing(and not on the internet)

Sorry to give you news you don't want to hear, but if it is not too late - send them back.
  • Cardew
    I note that 'shaunmichelle7'(see post #3) has posted just the once to promote these heaters and has not visited since - what are the odds on he/she being an employee?

The one great advantage of the internet is that anyone 'Googling' for Rointe will find this thread; although I suppose there are some folk(older people?) who will still believe the brochure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback