Connecting Aerial socket to Tv Aerial!

Comments

• If it's a newbuild make it easy on yourself.

Pop over to the site office (if still on site, if not phone the maintenance phone number) and tell them the socket doesn't work. They'll send someone round to connect it up for you.

House developers expect snagging problems like this on newbuilds and won't quibble it unless it's been years since work completed and they've packed up and gone.
  • maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    When I meant new house i meant the house was built 6 years ago...sorry got confused!
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    I think one of us is colour blind. To me the second picture looks like a normal aerial socket with normal BROWN coax connected, and from what I can see it's connected ok, if a little slopily. Seems like the socket was put there and coax wired to it from the loft for you to do the rest if needed. Your easiest solution is to get a decent aerial and instal it in the loft where you should find the lead from the socket appearing somewhere above the socket.
    Wiring the other end to the aerial will be very similar to the socket. Just make sure the outer strands don't touch the inner or you'll get no, or a very grainy picture.
    Ask at a local TV shop about which group aerial to buy.
  • maniac886
    Lol...your certainly right about the colour blind part because I am actually colour blind!
  • maniac886
    Just as a matter of interest if I were to get this done from a company what sort of prices would I be looking at including labour...just so I dont get ripped off.
  • djohn2002uk
    maniac886 wrote:
    Lol...your certainly right about the colour blind part because I am actually colour blind!

Sorry to hear that.
    As for cost, I personally worked as a TV engineer a while back and have always thought aerial instalation is a rip off, but then I've always been able to do my own.
    What you need to do is find out the transmitter that you get your signal from, then you can get an aerial (18 element) and you can fix it in the loft in the same direction as others on rooftops around you, connect the coax, tune the TV and you are done.
    If you need info about your transmitter and the aerial group send me a PM telling me where you live and I'll get the info for you.
  • maniac886
    Cant the brown wire be connected to the existing aerial we have outside?
  • djohn2002uk
    maniac886 wrote:
    Cant the brown wire be connected to the existing aerial we have outside?

If that's the aerial you're using downstairs then you would need to amplify the signal to share between two TVs.
  • maniac886
    basically we have one tv on the ground floor,one 42 inch plasma on the second and a tv with freeview on the top floor. my room is also on the top floor but its not connected. I have noticed that when all tvs are on the receptions get fairly worse.
  • maniac886
    Can anyone else help with my dilemma? What is involved and what costs am i looking at? Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills