Skoda Fabia warning lights..help please?

Hi to cut a long story short after 4 years of being ripped of buying dodgy cars that cost a fortune to run we took the plunge and decided to buy new. We took out a loan and purchased a fabia estate (auto) after checking various sites for reliablity etc. The car is a 06 plate now and has had all its services etc. It only has 8600 on the clock. Got in it yesterday and a warning light came on EPC (fault light) so I booked it in for monday to get it checked.Then this morning another light came on-control system for exhaust gases. I am now starting to panick as this sounds expensive! It is still under warranty but that excludes the catalytic converter (which may be the problem?).
Would this be classed as not fit for purpose with such low milage and not fair wear and tear...I really cannot afford a big bill!
Sorry for such a long post but any advice would be welcome thanks.
Its the fabia 1.4 16v ambiente automatic estate btw
JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    See my thread below Ouch!! That was expensive.

Might be nothing, but check all oil and water etc and hopefully it will be nothing. But who can tell nowdays.

You are jumping the gun a bit at this stage. Get the car in and looked at and see what they say.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Also try www.briskoda.net forums :) You don't mention what model it is.

It is quite likely the faults are linked and I would therefore suspect it is not the catalytic converter, but a sensor somewhere has failed which has eventually triggered off the other to read faulty.

It could just be a temperature sensor that has failed for example. This would bring up a fault light, and the car would run rich as a result which would bring up the emissions light.
  • Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with anewman about looking on Briskoda forum. I have a 2000 model Skoda Fabia which almost constantly had the fault light on saying that the EGR valve needed replacing. After having it replaced twice it was found to be a wiring loom problem !! Best to get it checked out first as it may be something small triggering the fault light
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
  • Yes me too. Have had my 54 plate Fabia in the garage a fair few times with the warning lights and its always turned out to be the computer thingy rather than a real problem.
    Cogito ergo sum. Google it you lazy sod !!
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Thanks all, I just want to be prepared just in case...being a woman who knows nothing (well almost) about cars and has absolutley no luck with them either. ....and please dont shout at me for admitting it lol!!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I suspect the emissions light is more to warn you that the catalytic converter may be at risk of being damaged (due to poor fuel mixture etc). Sooner you get it sorted the less likelihood of any damage..
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    anewman wrote: »
    I suspect the emissions light is more to warn you that the catalytic converter may be at risk of being damaged (due to poor fuel mixture etc). Sooner you get it sorted the less likelihood of any damage..
    More likely to be lambda...if its anything like its VW cousin ;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just to say the manual on the Panda was suggesting that our problem was emissions, but he did check the lambada sensors and they were fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure