was this a ghost ?

Comments

• jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    There are no such things as ghosts, it's all a total load of tosh. What your sister probably heard was the natural creaking of boards and the door closing in a draught as doors are apt to do. Let's keep superstition where it belongs....back in the middle ages.

my aunt swears she saw her husband just after he died he came to her to tell her she was gonna be alright and that she shouldnt worry

then there was a knock on the door to tell her husband had died

im unsure if ghost exist or not
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Those who dont believe in ghosts will insist that they dont exist - until they have an experience of their own.
    Those with open minds will listen and look for other causes before ruling them out.
    Those who KNOW ghosts exist - will believe you, and will probably ALSO look for other causes before ruling them out!
    believers are NOT gullible fools! They have either heard, seen or felt 'things' which had no rational explanation!
    So unless there is a rational explanation hun - then yes it MAY have been a ghost!
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    meritaten wrote: »
    Those who dont believe in ghosts will insist that they dont exist - until they have an experience of their own.
    Those with open minds will listen and look for other causes before ruling them out.
    Those who KNOW ghosts exist - will believe you, and will probably ALSO look for other causes before ruling them out!
    believers are NOT gullible fools! They have either heard, seen or felt 'things' which had no rational explanation!
    So unless there is a rational explanation hun - then yes it MAY have been a ghost!

A rational explanation like...a draught?

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the existence of ghosts.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a strong argument either way but with an open mind, I couldn't say ghosts exist or they don't. There are more things in heaven and earth......
  • I don't think so, something to do with the laws of physics :)
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Person_one wrote: »
    A rational explanation like...a draught?

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the existence of ghosts.

It is pointless trying to reason with people who believe in something irrational (that's not meant to be an insult by the way).

If a tiny little thing like a creaking staircase is enough to convince them that ghosts exist then you are never going to convince them otherwise.

After all, you can't prove a negative. It is literally impossible to prove that ghosts don't exist.
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wow so man skeptics about, that is till they have an experience of their own. anyway op i can relate to that story kind of, when my dad died 9 years ago we was all at the hospital bar my oldest sister who couldnt come as she lived further away, my father had never been to her house due to not getting on with her husband and it was often a joke that my dad had never been to visit them in that house, anyway my dad died at 4.50 pm, when we rang to tell my sister that he had died and what time she said that strange things had happend in their house at the same time he died, first the front door open, a lamp started flashing even after taking out the batteries and a teaspoon flew off the worktop, and finally the back window slammed shut and it was over all with in about 20 mins after he had died, now it could be pure pure coincidence but i like to think that it was my dad visiting her as he had never been to her house and she wasnt there right at then end to say goodbye. i dont believe that once you die thats it because i think when you die you are infact more alive than ever in someways. i would have an open mind about it and think that the lady was coming to her home one last time before going off to wherever she was going x
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• Hope your sil isn't frightened, my dad always used to say the dead can't hurt you, but the living can!
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    raven83 wrote: »
    wow so man skeptics about, that is till they have an experience of their own.

I've heard doors close plenty of times.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I've had plenty of 'experiences' that non skeptics might explain as some supernatural phenomena but I still don't believe in ghosties. And I'm fairly sure op's sil would have found a rational explanation of the event if she hadn't been told about the death of the old lady
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport