Car Wheel Tracking Cost

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    vansboy wrote: »
    Just about any tyre shop will give a FREE check but just about ANY car WILL have the tracking 'out'!!

Not at Bathwick Tyres, they are honest !
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Forumite
    I asked a tyre fitter and he said he'd have noticed and it didn't need doing.

Also, I've been told by the previous owner that on my car, a Skoda Favorit, the tracking is difficult to adjust and one garage refused/was unable to do it as they didn't have the required equipment or something.
  • costco ALWAYS fit new tyres to the rear axle (unless they are different sizes to the front)
    check the tyre pressures to see if one tyre is below pressure
    go to a tyre shop that has a 4 wheel tracking machine
    cost is normally around £30
    speed is good
  • SAS0
    SAS0 Posts: 17
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've jus tbeen quoted £49 by Kwik-fit.

Luckly I had a quote from a local garage at £40, so Kwik-fit has a price match system.

So finaly going to do mine on the Kwik-fit for £40 the 4 wheels.

Apparently, from what the Kwik fit man said many people do tracking on the 2 front wheels only, which is not right if something is wrong with your back wheels.

Also he said he uses the latest technology = Digital laser alignment machine.

Does this seem to be correct or I'm being riped off ?

Thank you
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    Forumite
    I'd avoid Kwack-fit as they'll tell you your brakes and shock absorbers need replacing too.
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Full 4 wheel laser alignment and tracking can be done for about £20 if your near enough to Micheldever tyres, Micheldever, south of Basingstoke Hampshire. Very busy place, constant stream of customers hence they are able to do it at that price. £40-£80 is typical for the same thing elsewhere.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Had my car tracked multiple times (dont even go there) - front is in the region of £20 and front and rear is about £45.

Make sure they do it properly though - I had huge camber issues (leading to this tyre wear!) and had the tracking and camber checked which was "fine" and 1,500 miles later my new tyres ended up the same way - I bought a machine to check the camber and it was 3° out on each rear wheel... DIY'ed it to 0.5° and then paid £47 to get it redone and fixed properly.

Similarly a garage claimed they could do full 4 wheel, camber, toe etc alignment for £30. Great, I thought... Until I turned up and they claimed they couldn't do it because I had non-standard wheels (which are exactly the same size as the 15" factory option on the car but still) as they weren't actually going to do a laser alignment, they were just going to to use a tape and do it that way...
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • vansboy wrote: »
    Did the new tyres go on the rear - this is accepted as THE correct axle for new rubber, as it will be more efficient when brakes are applied, especially in wet conditions.

& yes, I'd agree to let the tyre seller investigate, if there is a problem with the new tyres, although I'd doubt this.

My guess is you've new tyres on the front & now the tracking adjustment that was needed anyway, is more apperent, due to the new tyres.

& on your model, a 4 wheel check would be £$£$£ well spent.

VB

New tyres go on the rear because its easier to control an understeering car, rather than an oversteering car.
  • national tyres and autocare have a printable voucher offering wheel alignment for £14 cheapest I've found so far
    :rotfl:
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tracking is 2 wheel alignment and is not of much use

You really need a 4-wheel alignment, where it tracks the rear wheels, then centers the steering wheel, and finally adjusts the toe on the front.

The good news is its not to expensive, a standard a car- maybe £30-£40 pounds.

2-wheel tracking will not solve tracking problems- bear that in mind

Agree with the grey-suited one. :p:D

You do need 4 Wheel tracking, although some cars are not adjustable at the rear. I pay £49.95 for 4 Wheel tracking at Elite in Rainham, Essex. You can pay hundreds of pounds for a full works KDS tracking at some BMW dealers.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport