Do you refund on postage if refunding an item sold on eBay?

just intersted to see what other ebay sellers offer....

If refunding an item sold on eBay, do you refund the postage aswell? 45 votes

Full postage refunded
51% 23 votes
Partial postage refunded
8% 4 votes
No postage refunded
40% 18 votes

Comments

• Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    id be interested if someone returns the good if anyone refunds their postage as well. i personally would refund the postage i paid/charged them originally.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • LULUBELLE_2
    LULUBELLE_2 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Yes, I would, mainly because i would never refund just because they changed their mind, it would have to be because I'd inadvertently sent the wrong size or similar, or if it was lost in the post.
    I only exist in my own mind - if you can see, hear or read me, you are a product of my imagination.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Would depend if it was my fault or not; if the item was genuinely faulty or I sent the wrong one, I would refund all their costs including the cost of returning it to me.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Stuart_P
    Stuart_P Posts: 814
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    if it was my error then yes i would or offer a replacement. if a customer changes their mind then i would not. what do large companies like amazon do?
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    so if someone says its faulty etc you MUST get it sent back and not just rely on photographic evidnce before refunding.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,034
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Like all the others say it would depend on the circumstances. If something is faulty then I would refund the whole amount as soon as the item was returned to me, likewise in cases where item is lost in th epost I would refund the lot. After all in both those cases a paypal chargeback would refund the buyer in full anyway.

However, if a buyer wants a refund just becasue they've changed their mind then no, they just get item cost back. I don't really offer refunds, but I do sometimes, very rarely make an exception and don't think I should have to lose the postage as well.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    does depend on the reason,
    if they 'change their mind' i won't refund at all, its 'tough luck', but if they were very nice then i'd refund less postage

any faults of my own, i refund ALL postage, including their returning opst costs, why should the buyer be out of pocket?
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • depends on the problem

if its faulty and when its returned to me prooving its faulty then i refund everything as its my fault

if its a case of didnt like it or changed mine then tough luck
    See the stars they’re shining bright
    Everything’s alright tonight
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Same as the majority here really.

If lost, damaged or broken, then a full refund including postage costs and any other postage costs such as the buyer having to send a broken/damaged item back to me, will be issued.

If they have changed their mind, or it is the wrong size (even though listing states all sizes clearly) then tough. They won't get anything back from me.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • LucyLocket
    LucyLocket Posts: 227
    First Post
    Forumite
    I would only refund if I believed there was a genuine problem with the item, not just if the buyer changed their mind ( if that's the case they can list it on ebay themselves). However if I believed the buyer had genuine grounds for a refund I would definitely refund postage as well. In fact when buying I refuse to deal with sellers who state that in the event of misdescription etc they only refund the value of the item . I feel that they are effectively saying if they make a mistake they expect the buyer to suffer for it .
    Nothing in it, nothing in it but a ribbon round it .....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure