Fibreglass flat roof

Comments

• tich26
    tich26 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi all,
    Following on from this thread I have just been given a quote for a flat roof by a reputable firm and I am unsure about it. I am really not technical or practical minded.

My roof is 3.8 by 3.3 metres and the quote given is for a complete new roof, insulation, facias, guttering and the clearing away of the old material and it has a lifetime guarantee. The quote works out at £4,000 - this seems very high in comparison to the one above but we are 2 1/2 years on from that so this may be fair.

Is it worth going down this route rather than just getting a new felt roof?

Thanks
    Lisa
  • Cameraman
    Cameraman Posts: 132 Forumite
    tich26 you might have taken action with your roof now but I'm getting a few quotes in at the moment and have nothing as high as £4000 and that’s including a full warm deck conversion and new fascias in EPDM with 20 year guarantee. Our highest quote is £3000 and the roof is 16sq meters v yours being 12.5sq meters.

I don’t know which roof would come with a lifetime guarantee as they are going to leak again at some point.

I'm going to look into fibre glass too now.
  • Not a bad quote at all.
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    GRP flat roofs are not 100% if there is likely to be movement in the structure. Garage doors open on windy days can create 5-12mm of 'bend' which can cause fine cracks to appear if the fibreglass is not thick enough. Still 500% better than felt though. *All in a days work is irrelevent. There seems to be a mental block here regarding 'a days work' if these guys are good at what they do, why question the rate at which they work???? 7am to 7pm is a days work and if you have a butty on the hoof that 12 hrs (two normal days for most) *Monty Python theory based on 5 bob a month when I were a lad, we got up before we went to bed and the youth of t'day.............
  • knowloads wrote: »
    GRP flat roofs are not 100% if there is likely to be movement in the structure. Garage doors open on windy days can create 5-12mm of 'bend' which can cause fine cracks to appear if the fibreglass is not thick enough. Still 500% better than felt though. *All in a days work is irrelevent. There seems to be a mental block here regarding 'a days work' if these guys are good at what they do, why question the rate at which they work???? 7am to 7pm is a days work and if you have a butty on the hoof that 12 hrs (two normal days for most) *Monty Python theory based on 5 bob a month when I were a lad, we got up before we went to bed and the youth of t'day.............
    spot on.... its a skilled job,,, the materials are expensive and going back to begining of thread.. you always usse new boards with fibreglass ...and always ask if they have a paddle roller.. if they dont know what it is dunna have them fit it..
  • hi all . im just buying a house that has a felt roof [ its not flat], yes the whole roof!! it will need replacing soon , and im not sure of the cost comparisons , or the lifespans, altho it seems that fiberglass is longer . lastly , is there any need to inform the local council of a change from felt to fiberglass???many thanks
  • hi i have a leaking garage roof (felt) dont know which is best fibreglass or felt . please help thanks.
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    Viking...... neither. Fleece backed EPDM single sheet on new timbers. would be my choice. Felt is so 1950's and last 10yrs, F/glass ok for small out of sunlight areas, EPDM 30-40 yrs or more .
  • from experience GRP is the best method (fibreglass)
    leeks can be repaired easily and it looks great if done properly, prices can be double the price of felt, but you get a product that will last a life time, which is what you want in area's where access is limited or requires a scaffold. to get more information on the different methods go to our site under what we do.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    you need to remove the email address, forum rules do not allow you to post them Mercury
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family