solicitors to use for dwp Atos assessment appeals

wondered if anyone had information about good soliticors to use for this, thanks

Comments

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Why do you need a solicitor and can you afford it?
  • thats helpful. thanks.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    atoz12 wrote: »
    thats helpful. thanks.

I thought they were perfectly reasonable and helpful questions; sorry you didn't.
  • I contacted one to find out if they would be of use to represent me at my DLA tribunal and was told legal aid doesn't cover that process and it would cost 'lots of money' if I paid for them myself. Needless to say I didn't have said 'lots of money' and that was that. Now, whether that was just that particular solicitor's interpretation or that is the gospel truth I don't know as I didn't check into it any further.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 November 2012 at 3:40PM
    Op... as above... could be expensive and you may not need their help. There is free advice available out there... and you can get some decent advice here. The WCA handbook is useful to understand how the descriptors should be used/interpreted. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wca-handbook.pdf

To appeal... identify the descriptors you feel should apply to you. State on GL24 form or in letter (which should include details of the decision you're appealling against). In identifying the descriptors you can state what the decision should be.. limited capability for work (WRAG) or limited capability for work related activity (Support group). Make case for the descriptors applying and try to get and refer to supporting medical evidence... the closer it is to giving opinion descriptors currently apply the better. You might want to add some comment on the accuracy of the ATOS report which in all probability was in effect what the DWP decision reflects the content of.

Make sure you get hold of the evidence the DWP used to take decision... ideally first. If this holds you up and it looks like you'll run out of the month appeal time then appeal and say you'll send further details when evidence is sent and studied.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure