How many months supply is a standard NHS Prescription?

Options

Comments

• MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting information here, the amount should be standardised across the UK surely?
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • I_wanna_live_for_free
    Options
    Mine used to be 6-monthly but it's been changed to monthly as "we want to monitor and maybe change your medicines" but nothing has been changed the last 6 times I've been back.

It's annoying as I have to take time off every time I need a GP appointment whereas I could pop to the pharmacy in my lunch break to collect it. And as my doctor's surgery closes between 12-2 I can't make an appointment in my lunch break either.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most of my meds are for long term chronic conditions and I get either 2 or 3 months at a time. It tends to be 2 months for those on repeat and 3 for those that I need to see the GP for. They seem to weigh up the cost of the drugs against the non-availability of appointments.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am hypothyroid so I need life long medication. I used to get two month's meds at a time but it has now changed to only one month. Totally stupid as I will always need the thyroxine.

My husband works abroad so the surgery have agreed that he can get two month's prescription at a time as it is difficult to manage his visits and the need for meds.
  • Humphrey10
    Humphrey10 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    My current doctor's surgery only prescribes 1 month at a time (or one box/packet if that is more than a month's supply). They say it is to save money, but I don't pay for my prescriptions so it's just increasing the admin work and therefore cost for the NHS. It's very odd.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does frequency change when you don't have to pay? The cynic in me thinks maybe it does.

Possibly. I get 6 months for the contraceptive pill (free), 1 month of IBS meds and 2 months of anti-d's.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • mustmakealist
    Options
    It is also to do with trying to cut down waste when medicines are changed or not used regulary and this can't always be predicted.

I know that most people do use all of their medicines, but if someone doesn't use it all or asks for it every month even if they haven't taken it regularly then it gets wasted.

A lot of pharmacies will arrange to collect prescriptions from the GP if you can't get there easily yourself. It might be worth asking your regular pharmacy to do this for you.
    I need to make a new list for 2014
    think of something to put on it!:rotfl:
    Try harder for 2014 as I never managed it in 2012 or 2013
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pattycake wrote: »
    I am hypothyroid so I need life long medication. I used to get two month's meds at a time but it has now changed to only one month. Totally stupid as I will always need the thyroxine.

My husband works abroad so the surgery have agreed that he can get two month's prescription at a time as it is difficult to manage his visits and the need for meds.

As you need your thyroxine for life you should get it free. Ask your GP for an exemption certificate - you need to fill in most of it and your GP signs to say its correct.

For those who only get 1 month, speak to your GP to see if they'll change it to 2 due to cost. I doubt you'll get more than 2 months but it all helps.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • LilMissEmmylou
    Options
    We dont pay for our prescriptions in N.Ireland - I work in a pharmacy and regularly see scripts for 1 month or 2 months (equally some things will be for 2 or 3 weeks and others for 3 or 6 months).

It really is down to the individual GP's discression and not down to making money from those being prescribed the medication (as they dont make anything in N.Ireland with the exception of private prescriptions).
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    One month at a time has been the policy in the practice we use for years. My husband has a long list of drugs he takes, but luckily our local pharmacist picks up the prescription and we just collect it from the village. DH has to see the gp about every 6 months to review the drugs.

The only time it could cause a problem is when we have bad weather and there is always the possibility of the prescription not getting through, or the pharmacist not making it to the village.

The maximum of a month is supposed to be to do with wasteage and to cut suicide risk. Having seen the carrier bags full of drugs we removed from both my Dad's and my Grandad's home after they had died, I can see the reasoning behind it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure