Energyhelpline coldcalling/scam?

Ben1982
Ben1982 Posts: 731 Forumite
Had a phonecall tonight from a number that just showed up as "International" on my phone. It was a guy saying that he was from Energyhelpline, and I basically said, that I knew who they were and what they did, and wasn't interested in switching my energy supply at the moment due to problems with my gas supply (true story!), and when I'm looking to switch I will use their website.

Apparently I understood him wrongly, and he then went on about energy suppliers changing their prices etc, and they could save me money or so. To which I had to tell him the same thing again. To which he said they would ring me back.... even if they do I wouldn't accept giving out details over the phone to a cold caller.

I'm doubting it was actually from Energyhelpline as I would imagine since I'm on TPS, they wouldn't risk cold calling. Being from a line abroad make me suspicious too, which seemingly is a tactic to get around TPS, but again I don't think EnergyHelpline would do this. And also, if they were from Energyhelpline, I would imagine they would have understood my reason not to be wanting switch at this time the first time I told them.

Anyone else had this kind of call claiming to be from Energyhelpline?

Comments

• Just had same call from India - 2.30 Saturday. Said I was happy with my provider and they immediately rang off - so assume not from Energy Helpline!!!!!!
  • Robert2009
    Robert2009 Posts: 342 Forumite
    I can never understand why people come on here moaning about getting phone calls and the caller arguing with them.

JUST HANG UP THE PHONE, no sorry, no goodbye, no nothing, just do it.

Jeez!

Rob
  • Had call last night at 6.30pm - lady with Indian accent. Told her that as I was registered with TPS, she was breaking English Law. Seemed to concentrate her mind a bit and she said she would make sure I wasn't called again.
  • Just had a call, 10am Saturday morning. Indian accent and very personable chap. Immediately asked for his number and he gave me an 0207 (London) number. Said I was registered with TPS and why was he flouting the regulations. Response was a sincere apology but that I was on a call list which clearly was not up to date (I have been with TPS for more than 5 years.) I later dialled the 0207 number and the person who answered did so in the name of Energy Hepline. TPS just doesn't work but rather than just hang up in future I will continue to tell people of the error of their ways. Who knows, they may just have a conscience! :undecided
  • lu_lu_2
    lu_lu_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    I have been plagued for months by "international callers" (not somebody saying they were from Energyhelpline tho') and although I have repeatedly told them that their call is illegal they have said I am on a call list & if I want to get of it it will cost me Euros 39.

I obviously didn't fall for that one & I now let the phone go onto answerphone or I pick up & put it beside the base unit.

It has gone quieter recently so hopefully - fingers crossed - they have got the message.
  • Had several calls over the last few days from Alex, an Indian man, from Energy Helpline - very persistent individual and very annoying. Next time going to try to find out why me? Keep trying to avoid him, but thanks to all your advice on this website, will now be very firm. Trouble with us Brits is we're so very polite!:rotfl:
  • they keep pestering my mother in law - despite the fact they have been asked to stop. i was at hers on the weekend and they phoned twice. fair enough if you ask to be contacted but they need to back off as they arent bieng very helpful.

i spoke to the guy and he was defo in india - sod being polite, give them the 'hang up'
  • Hi

We were concerned to read about the matters mentioned in the above posts and would like to make an official statement that we hope helps to answer some of the questions raised by the posters above.

1, Regarding TPS calls, at Energyhelpline we gather data from different resources, all of the data we use is what we call “Permission data” this means the number was given as an “opt-in” for more information on a website or survey. We have had a few instances in the past with people that have forgot or not realised they have ticked a box that gives us permission to call. Regardless of this, if you mention you are TPS registered when one of our advisors call, the advisor should politely terminate the call if you do not want to continue.

2, If you do not wish to be called again please tell the advisor so and ask to be put onto our do not call list alternatively you can phone our free phone customer service number on 0800 6343868 or email [EMAIL="customerservices@energyhelpline.com"]customerservices@energyhelpline.com[/EMAIL] and ask to be taken off the list (if emailing please don’t forget to include the number that needs to be taken off the list). Please be aware that just hanging up may possibly generate another call in the future.

3, The aim of Energyhelpline is to provide customers with a valuable service to save customers money, if in any way you are not satisfied with the service you receive then please contact us by either of the above methods, ideally letting us know the name of the agent and the approximate time and date of the call so we can look into the matter.

At Energyhelpline we pride ourselves on the professionalism of our staff and the posts above do highlight that there are some areas where further training is needed and we can assure you that training has already started taking place.

Regards

EnergyHelpline customer services
    Official Company Representative
    This is the verified forum account of Energyhelpline. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ben1982 wrote: »
    Had a phonecall tonight from a number that just showed up as "International" on my phone. It was a guy saying that he was from Energyhelpline, and I basically said, that I knew who they were and what they did, and wasn't interested in switching my energy supply at the moment due to problems with my gas supply (true story!), and when I'm looking to switch I will use their website.

Apparently I understood him wrongly, and he then went on about energy suppliers changing their prices etc, and they could save me money or so. To which I had to tell him the same thing again. To which he said they would ring me back.... even if they do I wouldn't accept giving out details over the phone to a cold caller.

I'm doubting it was actually from Energyhelpline as I would imagine since I'm on TPS, they wouldn't risk cold calling. Being from a line abroad make me suspicious too, which seemingly is a tactic to get around TPS, but again I don't think EnergyHelpline would do this. And also, if they were from Energyhelpline, I would imagine they would have understood my reason not to be wanting switch at this time the first time I told them.

Anyone else had this kind of call claiming to be from Energyhelpline?

Yes., I've had a few. As soon as they say my name and it's an Indian accent, I either hang up or just leave the phone off the hook and go about my daily business. They soon get fed up with this:j
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2010 at 9:45AM
    I've had a couple calls from these people over the last few weeks, only just seen this thread. Am I reading this right? This Indian call centre actually IS associated with Energyhelpline?? If so, that's their website struck off my list of comparison sites to use.

3, The aim of Energyhelpline is to provide customers with a valuable service to save customers money

May I suggest an alternative version of this?

'3. The primary aim of Energyhelpline is to trouser affiliate income, by encouraging people to switch gas and electric suppliers, hopefully saving them money.'

Reason being is if there was no affiliate income being paid here, switching sites like Energyhelpline and the others wouldn't be interested in entering the market in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure