Cheapest place to buy fresh fruit?

Comments

• raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i'm another lidl fan but they do run out of stock quickly at this time of year especially strawberries.

i also buy fruit at my local market, they are cheapest on cherries, strawberries and rasperries when they glut. they had tangerines last week, havent seen those in years!
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Aldi's stuff doesn't keep well at all, in my experience. Hell, I've found mouldy stuff on the shelves.

My local Somerfield/Co-Op has a terrible selection (but 500 types of wine, it seems) and it's never too fresh. There's a market stall type thing in the shopping centre and its stuff is never fresh. There's a fruit and veg shop on the main street and it's not got much of a selection, it's expensive and the stuff's not too fresh.

Tesco/Asda are the only places nearby that I'm sure to find half-decent quality fruit and veg, that won't go off in a couple of days. They're much more expensive than most independent places, but the independent places nearby are awful.

I keep hearing anti-supermarket types whinge about supporting local businesses but the local businesses here are cheap and nasty as opposed to the low prices and high quality people keep going on about. There's a local greengrocer I've yet to try, because he seems to shut at 2pm or something ludicrous like that.

I could go over to the Asian area of town but it's a pain in the bum to get there, and adds another few pounds onto the cost of whatever I buy. It seems like there's just no demand for quality produce here. :(
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • Eeyore2009
    Eeyore2009 Posts: 267 Forumite
    I have to agree with Lidl :)
  • csnann
    csnann Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My local farm shop is cheaper than the supermarket. The local greengrocer is much more expensive than either the supermarket or the farm shop.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It all depends on what you buy?

This is what I grow so therefore cheap:
    Blackberries, I have picked and frozen 5 kilo so far
    Strawberries, I pick every other day
    Apples, tree full of them
    Pears, tree full of them
    Oranges, my hardy tree has got 6 naval oranges on at the moment
    Lemons, my hardy tree has got 4 lemons on so far
    Goosberry bush looking healthy so should get a good crop
    Cranberry bush looking good so should get a good crop
    Cherries, I have picked 8 kilo so far.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    garden or market definitely- if you go to the market towards the end of the day you can get a huge bag of bannanas (27 best quantity so far!) for a quid! Also aldi or lidl next best.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The man in the veg van that parks up on a local estate on Tuesday and Saturday mornings rain or shine and sets up a couple of trestle tables next to his van . Very good fresh quality, decent selection, cheery service and low low prices. He does a great job and deserves the custom.
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    lidl and aldi have a great, cheap selection
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Finally managed to catch the small independent place that shuts early. Bad selection, decent prices and ok quality. I've still to find one of these places I hear about that sell totally fresh stuff for less than supermarkets.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • GoodNewmover
    GoodNewmover Posts: 134 Forumite
    Rjhsteel wrote: »
    Where, in your opinion, is the cheapest place to buy your fruit?

Morrisons
    Lidl
    ...it's important to take the first step...action=reaction..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure