Great 'Your fave sub-£5 wines' Hunt

Comments

• Chat en Oeuf is a good buy, I have had offers around 4 quid, look for the cat and egg on the label.

Another favorite is Siglo Crianza 2004, it is the one in the bottle wrapped in sackcloth for about 4.50

I bought the above red wine for no other reason than I thought that the pun of Chateau Neuf was funny but I agree that is really quite a reasonable wine (Waitrose). The same supermarket also do an Italian red called something like Trianca which is easy drinking and used to be under £4 but is now slightly above with the strength of the Euro possibly.
  • Thanks to those who posted the info on Wolf Blass wines at Morrisons, £3.99 is a great price, my Tesco wine order failed to turn up so I ended up cancelling, it was fortunate I read this thread, I have now stocked up, plus I am also collecting receipts for the £25.00 Morrisons voucher, Tesco have the same wine on offer At £6.29 !! It`s Morrisons for me from now on.
  • MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    As long as you know where to look, you can get some cracking wines for under a fiver. To help sort the stonkers from the stinkers, we MoneySavers to name their favourite sub-£5 plonks. You don’t need to be a conniseur, just let us know which vinos hit the spot.

Please include:

Name of the wine Cinsault Shiraz
    Year any
    Price Four pounds fifty
    Where to buyCo-op
    Why you like it Fairtrade, red, slightly fruity, no hang over after a couple of glasses

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Co-Op Fairtrade Cinsault Shiraz is Four pound fifty and has been a good slightly fruity red for a few years now. No hang after a couple of glasses is another pleasant trait.
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    PM1 wrote: »
    Don't want to tell you about this. It flies off the shelves. Lidl Tarragona

PM

I was in Lidl today and picked up the flyer for next week.

This is down to £3.50 a bottle from Monday 23rd.
  • Interesting Which? survey on sparkling for Christmas:
    from Which? report

Bargain bubbly brings Christmas cheer
    There’s no need to splash out on expensive champagne with the supermarket own brand bubbles on offer, says Which?
    Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Champagne Brut NV (90%, £31.91) topped the list in the consumer champion’s test* of champagnes, but Sainsbury’s Blanc Noirs Champagne Brut NV was only one per cent behind and around half the price at £15.98.
    H Blin & Co Champagne Brut NV from Oddbins also scored 89 per cent (£24.99) and supermarket The Co-operative followed closely behind with its Les Pionniers Champagne Brut (88%, £15.55).
    One disappointment was Moët and Chandon’s Brut NV which came 13th out of the 14 champagnes tested (79%). The experts weren’t impressed by its “slightly medicinal” aroma or “aggressive acidity”.
    Which? also compared sparkling wines** and found the £8.99 Bluff Hill Brut (87%), from M&S, was the best. The “vibrant citrus” scent and “well-balanced and refreshing” flavour impressed the experts. Graham Beck Brut from Waitrose also performed well (86%, £12.99).
    The Griffith Park Sparkling Brut (85%), available from Morrisons and Asda, and Aldi’s Phillippe Michel Cr!mant du Jura Brut (85%) were both scored as exceptional value at under £7.
    Martyn Hocking, Editor, Which? magazine, says:
    “With the party season ahead of us it’s great to know that you don’t need to spend a fortune to get a good quality champagne. Sainsbury’s own brand is a corker.
    “It’s also worth considering sparkling wines which can keep the party flowing at only a fraction of the cost.”
  • dawndew
    dawndew Posts: 12 Forumite
    If you like red wine, i never used to drink red but i found this last year, now i love it!!!!!!!!!!

wine- tesco's own chilian merlot
    price - £3 .19
    year ????????????
    where- tesco
  • Tesco value Chilean red is only £3.49 for a litre-in a blind tasting(amongst friends!) everyone thought it was a more expensive wine
  • Villa198 wrote: »
    Thanks to those who posted the info on Wolf Blass wines at Morrisons, £3.99 is a great price, my Tesco wine order failed to turn up so I ended up cancelling, it was fortunate I read this thread, I have now stocked up, plus I am also collecting receipts for the £25.00 Morrisons voucher, Tesco have the same wine on offer At £6.29 !! It`s Morrisons for me from now on.

The only problem with Msns is that they dont do a discount for 6 bottles. I love Wolf Blass Yellow lable, and picked up a few at 3.99, but cant justify buying more when there are better deals elswhere, like the Hardys Crest at Tesco, 10 down to 4, with 5% off for 6. And, its pretty fantastic.
  • For wines I can trust to be real value for money rather than supermarkets' false 'deals', I use my local wine merchant in Cheshire - Rodney Densem Wines.
    Their exclusive South African 'Wilderness Bay' ruby cabernet is juicy enough to impress all my friends (the white chenin blanc is similarly easy drinking) Both great value for £4.99.
    Also dependable is their own label Chilean 'La Manda' range which I have stocked up with for my New Year party whilst it is on offer online at 10 bottles for the price of 12 - making it only £4.58 a bottle!
    Didn't try a better summer rose! than their La Manda merlot rose! and the sauvignon blanc is lovely and zingy.
    Buy from their rodney densem wines website or their shop in Nantwich.
  • Not tried this wine, but from Saturday's Guardian:

The best sub-£5 wine I've tasted all year:

"It's an easygoing French red called Les Crouzes Old Vines Carignan Alain Grignon Wines 2008 (£4.99, The Co-op; 13% abv). Smooth, rounded and satisfying".
    From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/21/best-sub-5-pound-wine-2009-review

I agree with a poster above that Waitrose has one of the better wine selections of the supermarkets (M&S is good too). But if you want to drink good wine, generally speaking stay away from the big brands (of wine) and also try a local independent wine merchant (Or a good online one like Stone Vine and Sun). Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more for quality. ;)

-
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts