Refunds onto Debit Cards

I have been told by Monsoon that a refund I did with them on Saturday can take up to 14 working days to be credited back onto my account. Can they do this? I have never had a refund take more than 3/4 working days to be credited in the past. How can they have the right to take so long to pay it back when they only took one day to take it out of my account? Surely they shouldn't be allowed to take this long? Please advise me. Thanks

Comments

• Ivory_Tinkler
    Ivory_Tinkler Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    They have said up to 14 days to clear back into your account. If they processed the refund in front of you then there isn't much else you can do except for the funds to clear into your account. Although they have processed the refund it takes time for the money to be taken from their account and back into yours - as you say normally a few days. Maybe they advised up to 14 just in case of any unforseen delays.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    "can take" not "will take". 3-4 days is the norm but the banking system allows for 14 days.
  • If that's the case then the banking system needs a serious overhaul. Not everyone can afford to wait that long for money to go back onto their account and we shouldn't have to wait that long anyway-it's a disgrace! What's made it worse is that despite Scottish Power sending me a letter confirming that they would only take £1 out of my account from 1st August (as I am £190 in credit with them) they actually still took the £35 that the direct debit used to be priced at and I am still waiting on an indemnity claim to be processed to get the money back so I am serioulsly out of pocket. It's like there is some kind of conspiracy against me at the moment!
  • Colliefrog
    Colliefrog Posts: 602 Forumite
    Think yourself lucky... Virgin Mobile refunds can take up to 4 week :-S
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Just be glad they took the initial payment you made by card straight away. They can actually ask for the money from your bank any time upto 6 months after you made the transaction...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    Its not normally the shop but your own bank that can cause the delay.

Some of the refunds onto cards we do at work can appear straight away, some take ages. We have had customers coming back after a week complaining. We contact our merchant services provider who normally confirm that it was credited to the account overnight and that the card issuer must be holding it!!
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    If that's the case then the banking system needs a serious overhaul. Not everyone can afford to wait that long for money to go back onto their account and we shouldn't have to wait that long anyway-it's a disgrace!
    There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Banking system. It is producing very healthy bonuses for senior executives.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • before_hollywood
    before_hollywood Posts: 20,686 Forumite
    i had the same problem with carpetright :eek:

mysteriously appeared after 13 days
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • DisneyLyn1
    DisneyLyn1 Posts: 28 Forumite
    What's made it worse is that despite Scottish Power sending me a letter confirming that they would only take £1 out of my account from 1st August (as I am £190 in credit with them) they actually still took the £35 that the direct debit used to be priced at and I am still waiting on an indemnity claim to be processed to get the money back so I am serioulsly out of pocket. It's like there is some kind of conspiracy against me at the moment!

Hi milady,

If you request an indemnity claim via your bank they should refund your account immediately (within 24 hours). Your bank will then claim their money back from Scottish Power. So if you haven't received your money back yet you should get onto your bank straight away (I used to work in the department that processed DD indemnity claims for one of the big banks so I know how it works).

Lyn
    :smiley:
  • melannknee
    melannknee Posts: 39 Forumite
    they have to advise up to 14 days in worst case it could take that long but it never does next say 28 days they have to cover there backs?
    pls try mine 0335 0918, 5145 0816, 0311 2011, 7134 2143, 2019 1259 new one 2071 0139
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure