Affiliate your website... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    pixmania do dropshipping, which can be "branded" as your own store

http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/dropshipping-dropship-uk-dropshipment/ukuk_drop.html

Dropshipping means that you can advertise our products and we will deliver the products directly to your customer. No delivery note, invoice or markings from Pixmania-Pro are included with the delivery. Dropshipping allows you to make a profit on the difference in price without having to deal with manufacturers, overheads or the complexities of packaging. The drop shipment system also allows you to advertise a wide variety of goods, make bulk orders or even offer promotional gifts which you do not have to carry in stock
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've used several different affiliate programmes and manage to generate around an extra £125 per month. However, I have had major problems in the past when, after spending days, weeks, months, even, trying to get a site established and then the affiliate company gets taken over, the new owner decides to completely change all the codes and hey presto - months of work down the tubes. Funnily enough, the culprit company used to net me hundreds of pounds on its own prior to the changes.
    I also tried the amazon affiliate programme, which worked really well for a few years and then, suddenly, all their linking methods appeared to change. I have earned virtually nothing from that source in the past 2 years, so am trying again using their new linking methods.
    Recommendation wise, I have had a very good success rate with Commission Junction and Google Ads. Hope I'm not contravening any rules by mentioning them, but they are my favourites. An extra £125 per month average (to date in 2007) covers the costs of Internet access, webspace, domain names and my telephone. For 2008, I plan to develop this further and see if I can increase this residual income by at least 50%
    I guess what anyone who has a website really wishes for is the magical answer to the same old question: how do website owners get traffic onto new sites? But I guess there'll be a thread somewhere for that, so I'm off in search of it. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • LMac
    LMac Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have been thinking about setting up a website for the local nursery (dd left, but Im still in pta) for parents to shop through. I expect the income to be modest, but its worth a try.

How much work does this take after setup? I have no experience in this sort of thing. Will I be alerted if a banner needs to change, or will I have to research it all myself?
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    LMac wrote: »
    I have been thinking about setting up a website for the local nursery (dd left, but Im still in pta) for parents to shop through. I expect the income to be modest, but its worth a try.

How much work does this take after setup? I have no experience in this sort of thing. Will I be alerted if a banner needs to change, or will I have to research it all myself?

There is a no cost option with a fully set up website just an application form away... also, this is free and is supported by a well known affiliate network

http://buy.at/fundraising/
  • tlck9
    tlck9 Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I found a link somewhere fairly high profile to give you £40 for keeping a link on your site for 6 months, i cant remember where i saw it and for what company...

i read the t&c and it was fairly straight forward but now cant find it anywhere

anyone know who is was?

also anyone know which sites to go to to start off, I dont want masses of affliate links, just a few - to pay for the site, I have a number one positioning for my site in my chosen field
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

Why not try OMG and get an espotting directory feed, then either use the part of the directory relevant to your content, or go lock-stock-n-barrel with the whole directory. It instantly adds 1000's of pages to your site as the drill-down through the categories is immense.

This would create whole new side to your site and could be discretely with a link entitled "directory"

Alternatively you could use miva and place inline ads, so this works by putting tags at the beginning of your content and tags at the end or wherever you want the inline ads to appear. The system reads the content between the tags and picks out keywords that are hyperlinked by the miva ads. To the user the page looks clean and you see a double underline on the links that are ads.

Demo here... http://www.miva.com/uk/content/partners/miva_mc/inline_ads.asp
  • @tlk9: no one in their right mind would offer this unless your site had a decent amount of visitors coming to it

Affiliate marketing is more than just links (sorry if you already knew that), you need to take advantage of the trust relationship you have developed with your regular visitors and promote products that would actually benefit them. You're not selling to them, you're helping them.
  • tlck9 wrote: »
    I found a link somewhere fairly high profile to give you £40 for keeping a link on your site for 6 months, i cant remember where i saw it and for what company...

i read the t&c and it was fairly straight forward but now cant find it anywhere

anyone know who is was?

also anyone know which sites to go to to start off, I dont want masses of affliate links, just a few - to pay for the site, I have a number one positioning for my site in my chosen field

Don't know if this was the one you were thinking of, but Money4banners.co.uk offer £5 per month, plus £10 for setting up, just for placing 3 banners on your website. They say "Your site may be large or small, with a high or low traffic count" so it shouldn't be too difficult to get accepted.

As for other affiliate links to add, you best bet is sites closely linked to the theme of your site. PM me with your site URL or the theme of your site and I'll suggest a few for you.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    @tlk9: no one in their right mind would offer this unless your site had a decent amount of visitors coming to it

No, you are wrong the offer was a genuine one. I know, I used it and so did many other people.

The Company was the ad network and they pay you £5 per month for having a banner on three of your web pages. They also pay you a £10 joining bonus.

For a while they had an offer where they paid you six months in advance, which meant when you joined you got 6 x £5 + £10 joining bonus, making it £40 for having the ads on your site.

I believe this offer has now closed, so they've gone back to paying you £5 each month.

If you want to know more, and a link to the site see post #27 in this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=525349

They really do pay you each month, and you can submit as many sites as you like. The more sites that get accepted, the more fivers you get each month!
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    pixmania do dropshipping, which can be "branded" as your own store

http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/dropshipping-dropship-uk-dropshipment/ukuk_drop.html

Dropshipping means that you can advertise our products and we will deliver the products directly to your customer. No delivery note, invoice or markings from Pixmania-Pro are included with the delivery. Dropshipping allows you to make a profit on the difference in price without having to deal with manufacturers, overheads or the complexities of packaging. The drop shipment system also allows you to advertise a wide variety of goods, make bulk orders or even offer promotional gifts which you do not have to carry in stock

OK, just looked at these. Main problem I have, and this applies also to other dropshippers I've looked at, I can buy every item I've looked at cheaper on eBay.
    Which means if I eBay a product I've sourced from a dropshipper, I can't make a profit on it. Or if I set a price that will make a profit no-one will buy as there are cheaper options.
    The other dropshipper I did look at, I can make small margins on the lower value items, but Pixmania doesn't seem to have much in that line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure