Turning 60

The big six O happens next month!

Can anyone tell me what advantages there will be. I live in London so know I will get a free bus pass.

Anything else?

(I am trying to be positive about it!)

Comments

• Fenella
    Fenella Posts: 664 Forumite
    It's not all bad being 60 -:)

You will get £200 fuel allowance in November - (only one £200 per household with an over 60 year old).
    Various dry cleaners have percentages off for senior citizens also some hairdressers.

You say you live in London - you can get into theatres for matinee performances very cheaply if you just turn up about an hour before the performance starts (if they hav e any spare seats).
    All cinemas also have concession prices for over sixties.

I hope that's cheered you up!:)
    Born to shop;)
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Me too! I shall be 60 next month. I shall still have to work but at least I shan't have to work a full week as the pension will help to provide a bit of income. Sadly we don't get bus passes down here but I think we can get into the cinema a bit more cheaply!
  • Fenella
    I forgot to add - free prescriptions (hope you don't need them!).
    Born to shop;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yesterday i saw a notice outside Focus DIY saying 10% off everyday for over 60s.

My mum was 60 last month so i'm interested in this thread too.
  • Fenella
    I keep thinking of more advantages to being over 60.

B & Q have 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. (Not the very large B & Qs though.
    Wyvale Garden Centres have 10% off for over 60s on Tuesdays.;)
    Born to shop;)
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks, keep them coming. I can see that I will have to take up DIY, gardening and go to the theatre and cinema. This will keep me busy.

Do any of these places ask you to show ID when you ask for a concessionary rate?
  • jaybee
    lolly5648 wrote:
    Thanks, keep them coming. I can see that I will have to take up DIY, gardening and go to the theatre and cinema. This will keep me busy.

Do any of these places ask you to show ID when you ask for a concessionary rate?

Well . . . I do want a kitchen extension. Hey, maybe I could buy all the stuff at B&Q on a Wednesday and then push off to the theatre while someone else does that hard work :D (I wish).

I think we should need ID to get these concessions because I'm sure that none of us look 60! Isn't it odd how we wanted to look so much older when we were young and now we'd do anything to be younger!
  • lolly5648
    Hi Jaybee

When is your birthday? Mine is the 14th. I am not going to celebrate with a party, hopefully my husband is taking me away for a long weekend so I dont have to listen to all the jokes.

I am trying to find out all the advantages to being 60 and keep positive. Somehow I dont see myself claiming a pensioners discount at the hairdressers! I will only use it where no-one knows me. Not very moneysaving I know but people categorise you when they know your age.

As you say I am sure none of us look and certainly dont feel 60. I'm going to admit to it to as few people as possible.
  • jaybee
    Hi Lolly

Mine is on the 6th so I'll reach it a few days before you will - I'll let you know if I feel any different!!

I must say that I'm really struggling with this getting older lark. Like you, I shall not go around advertising the fact that I am now officially an old person! Wherever did all the time go?

Have you ever read the poem 'Whem I am Old I Shall Wear Purple'? Another one I loved is 'Suddenly Sixty' by Judith somebody (see, my memory's going already :eek: )
  • lolly5648
    Hi Jaybee

Yes I have read the poem. I have seen the book Suddenly 60, not read it or the other ones, now we are 50 etc. Might go into a bookshop and have a look.

When I read a newspaper article and it mentions a woman of 60, I conjure up a picture of a typical OAP with white hair and dont associate it with me. Now of course there are so many glamorous baby boomers the image will have to change. Trouble is when we were growing up everyone over 60 had grey hair and looked really old and that is the image that stays.

Take care
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport