Should I pay back a deposit left for my car?

far2812
far2812 Posts: 919 Forumite
PPI Party Pooper
H All

I sold my car to a guy (a policeman of all people!) 10 days ago.

He left me a deposit for £200 and said that he was waiting for a cheque to clear.

He called me this morning basically using every excuse in the book. He said that he wanted to do the transaction with my partner (even though my partner works away). I told him this - he has spoken to my partner a couple of times etc.

Anyway, I am just babbling now - basically do I have to pay him the deposit back? I have had 5 calls since and told the people that the car is sold and deleted it off autotrader.

I am just annoyed as I waited 10 days and then on the morning he was to collect the car, he cancelled.

Many thanks
Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!

Comments

• hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    basically no you do not have to repay the deposit,BUT, him being old bill could make life awkward,ie continous vehicle stops etc,

I would offer half back and say that you will keep the other half for the inconvenience caused,re-listing etc
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    If it's your car why would he want to deal with your partner?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    The log book is in my partner's name..........but like I said - he has spoken to him 3 times about the car and was more than happy!
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • terryya
    terryya Posts: 603 Forumite
    I think you'd be well within your rights to keep it but personally I'd refund minus the cost of readvertising.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    You don't say whether he is asking for deposit back? Is he the type to discuss sensibly? If so explain your extra costs etc.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • If you decide to keep any/all of the deposit. Get it straight in your head why you are doing so and what exectly the law says about it. He may well threaten you with being locked up for theft etc. If so firmly remind him of your legal rights to with hold his deposit and that he ought to see legal advice or you will contact his professional standards department.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    The guys HPI guarantee will not be valid unless he deals with the registered keeper (your partner)

They should not expect all the deposit back, depending on how you feel you may want to return some of it though.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Don't fall out with a policeman (and pay your dentist's bill on time).

They both have ways to get their revenge!
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How long is your partner away for?

Why can't the deal be finalised on your partner's return?

How is the car supposed to be paid for?
    By cheque? If so, just have the cheque made payable to your partner,
    By Bank transfer? If so, get the buyer to transfer funds to your partners account.

If the buyer has spoken to your partner, what exactly is the issue? Is this something that wasn't evident to the buyer when they originally left the deposit?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    The registered keeper is not necessarily the same the as the legal owner. If he wants to buy the car, he has to pay the legal owner, not the RK.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport