free bus pass and rail pass??

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In my area there are certain criteria for qualifying for a disabled travel pass. If you meet this criteria the form has to be signed & stamped by a consultant before consideration can be given to the application.

My borough are known to be tough in qualifying for a disabled pass & it is easier in some neighbouring boroughs to get one.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • My bus pass allows me use of all local bus services any time day or night (within the issuing county of bedfordshire) and 1/3 off on the train down to Hadly wood.

I can also use my bus pass off peak on any local bus service in England.
    I can't SEE what I'm typing - so sorry for any mistakes ;)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you are disabled /wheelchair user and usually need someone with you ask your council about having a companion included on your bus pass, a letter C is embossed on the bus pass and is widely recognised by bus drivers
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    daska wrote: »
    Apologies I should have been clearer - there is no single 'bus pass' that you can apply for as all councils are free to set their own requirements for eligibility. You are best off contacting your local council to see if they do run a subsidised scheme that you can take advantage of.

Also, are you confined to a wheelchair, if so you can get 50% off rail fares if you stay in your chair throughout the journey. But how that is applied is very dependent on the rail company.

There is a 'single' set of rules for councils issuing bus passes, you can see the elegibility criteria here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/PublicAndCommunityTransport/DG_4019388

They don't differ from council to council, they are the same throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bigturnip wrote: »
    There is a 'single' set of rules for councils issuing bus passes, you can see the elegibility criteria here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/PublicAndCommunityTransport/DG_4019388

They don't differ from council to council, they are the same throughout England, Scotland and Wales.

Thank you for that.

All I can say is that the criteria of my current council and the last one are applied differently as my circumstances haven't changed and their schemes are presented very differently!

As the information on the link you provided appears to allow for:
    Bus passes in England

Since 1 April 2008, everyone who is eligible for concessionary bus travel in England is entitled to free off-peak travel on all local buses anywhere in England.
    Local councils may offer further benefits to their residents, but these will only apply for travel in the local area, not everywhere.
    Extra benefits could include bus passes being valid for travel in the morning rush hour; or for use on trams, trains or taxis. Some passes also cover a wider area, such as a county or metropolitan area.
    If you live on the border with Wales or Scotland, your local authority may also have travel arrangements with the neighbouring ones allowing you to use your bus pass in these areas as well.
    Check what is covered before you travel. Your local council can give you further information.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Tally-Ho_2
    Tally-Ho_2 Posts: 369 Forumite
    bigturnip wrote: »

Hi,

Although what you have quoted from is the basic framework for issue of the All England Concessionary Bus Passes to Disabled People, in determining this framework into actual eligibility, the Department of Transport issued guidance into interpretation of this framework, with regard to the actual eligibility of disabled people. The DfT guidance is here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/buses/concessionary/informationlocalauthorities/guidancedisabled/ancetolocalauthoritieson3561.pdf

Unfortunately, this being 'guidance', local authorities are still free to interpret this guidance as they wish, hence the differing qualifications around the UK particularly with regards to linking access to the bus pass with receipt of certain benefits.

It is similar to the Blue Badge issue where certain Local Councils issue them to people over certain ages, it is because only 'guidance;' has been issued leading to rather wide interpretations at times.

I actually work for a local authority within the Transportation Department and deal with these on a more or less daily basis (and am a disabled person myself).

Tally
  • I believe the ruling with regard to the free bus pass is that you have to be medically unfit to drive before it is awarded. As the criteria for these things are generally set by each County Council, it would be worth giving them a call next week.

I am entitled to get a free bus bas as I have got epilepsy.I only queried after a friend telling me about it.As he gets a free bus pass as he has got Asama.
    :A :A :A :A :A :A :A
    Over 1000 pound in debt.
    To many red letters.
    Welfare Rights helped me out.
    Now I pay a little amount each month to clear debt.
    So much eaiser the pressure has been taken off me. :A :A :A :A :A :A :A
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    You dont have to medically unfit to drive in my area to get a free buss pass - blue badge holders are entitiled to one by showing their blue badge.

HTH
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    im registered deaf and got bus pass
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • I have a free bus pass for travel after 9.30am. In Lincolnshire, if you're disabled you can get one x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure