Freecorder - why doesn't it record anything?

alanrowell
alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Needed something simple (and free) to record streaming radio, so I tried Freecorder.

Tried it on 2 machines - one XP, one Vista - with the same results. No matter what settings I adopt it doesn't actually record anything

Anyone have an idea what I am missing?

Or can they suggest something that works reliably

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    think this will do it

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • alanrowell
    I need something simple (and free) to record streaming radio
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows

Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio.

:confused: :confused:
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • tomthebomb
    tomthebomb Posts: 325 Forumite
    Freecorder should be fine.
    Right click on loudspeaker icon in task tray - select "open volume control" - select "options" tab - select "properties" - select "recording" and tick all boxes in window.
    Good luck.

N.B. The boxes you tick are in the "properties" window NOT the "recording control" window.
  • john_s_2
    john_s_2 Posts: 698 Forumite
    I use something called AudioGrabber. But I think the important thing here is what you select in the recording properties. On my PC I can only select one source at a time. "Stereo Mix" does it for me - it records whatever noise is coming out of my speakers. I think it has a different name on some soundcards but it there is usually an equivalent I believe. Just experiment.

I think there is a way of turning off any other sounds that your computer might make while you're doing your recording - I just close any programs that are likely to make a noise (like email arriving) and make sure I don't touch anything till the recording's finished!
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    tomthebomb wrote: »
    Freecorder should be fine.
    Right click on loudspeaker icon in task tray - select "open volume control" - select "options" tab - select "properties" - select "recording" and tick all boxes in window.
    Good luck.

On my computer it will only let me tick one box.

I think the OP will need to tick the 'line in' box.

Another tip is to ensure the volume control level is at it's highest.Then when he does a test recording and it's distorted he can reduce the volume (perhaps the volume is to low at the moment and that's why it's not recording for him!)
  • alanrowell
    Finally found out what is wrong - you've got to start a recording before you get the audio - this applies to Firefox / IE / XP / Vista

All you need to do is start a recording when you open a browser then stop the recording. After that you can start new recordings without worry
  • I used to have no trouble with Freecorder but since upgrading to FF3.5 I've been unable to record anything. Any ideas?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had intermittent problems with FreeCorder too. Sometimes it would work fine, other times I would record silence. The only way round this was to reboot the PC and hope it would be fine the next time. I use Audacity now when I need to (which isn't often).
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you want BBC audio then Google Radio Downloader look for a website with the word Nerd in it. This is more convenient that recording while playing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure