Debenhams telephone interview

Hiya All,

Tomorrow I have a telephone interview for a part time clerical job in a new Debenhams store opening here in the new year.

I have never had a telephone interview in my life!! Any tips on what I will be asked.

Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• **** BUMP****

Anyone had experience of a telephone interview? There must be someone!!!!!!

By the way. not specifically Debenhams but there must be someone on this forum who has had a telephone interview in the past??????
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you search this board you will find people who have had telephone interviews before. My advice is to smile: they can hear your smile, you know!

good luck!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    I've had them in the past, try to be friendly (smile allot, as Savvy_sue says it does come across in your voice). Try not to get too flustered as they understand that for some people phone interviews are worse than 1 to 1 interviews (the lack of body language really throws some people). Write down some experiences [1] before the interview to refresh your memory but don't read from them on the phone, its obvious and it sounds really robotic. Be yourself, you have something they want or they wouldn't be interviewing you.

[1] What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses? Tell us about a time when you had to solve a problem. Tell us about a time when you went the extra mile to give great customer service. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why do you want to work for Debenhams? What can you bring to the company? Tell us a bit about yourself (homelife/previous work/hobbies/dependants/affiliations) etc etc
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • I saw your post yesterday, but did not reply as I had no experiece of a telephone interview, however......I was called yesterday about a job I had applied for and did a telephone interview yesterday afternoon...

I was given 5 topics in advance that I would be asked to talk about -leadership skills, decision making skills etc.

The woman doing the interview was very nice - she asked me if I had done one before, and then explained exactly how it would work. She explained that I should treat it like a face to face interview, I did not need to fill all the time with speaking, and if I wanted to think about my answers then to do so. She also said she was taking notes, so if there was a silence when I stopped talking not to worry as she was probably still writing.

In general, it was very similar to a face to face interview. Agree about the smiling! My suggestion would be to make some notes - just single words, to help you remember what you want to cover.

Questions such as

why do you want to work for us
    Talk to me about a time in your career when you ***had to solve a dispute/solve a problem/do something upopular/lead a team/take a decision/etc**** talk me through what you did to solve this issue, and tell me about the outcome.

So I can understand you a bit more about you tell me about the kind of work you have been doing up till mow - try to be specific, managing teams of 5 - 20 people, running a department, running a project worth £x, providing administration support to a Commercial Director etc etc....

Have a copy of the CV you sent them to hand - to check your facts if nessecary, but don't read from it.

Try not to be too robotic - try to make it a conversation rather than an interrogation - say thank you once they have explained things and make agreeing noises rather than sitting in silence - where you would normally smile and nod your head in an interview - make sure you make some form of agrement noise as they cannot see your face....

Good luck!

Puss
  • Hi, I dont have any experience on telephone interviews but may I ask where you saw the job advertised as im in Leeds and would be interested in working at Debenhams
  • Wahey, I passed the telephone interview :j I have got to go to an assessment on 9th November which consists of group exercises and a one to one interview.

Missy321, I am in Liverpool and we have a new Debenhams opening early next year, I read in the local paper that they were doing an open day in October at one of the hotels, if you couldn't make the open day, it said to go onto the Debenhams website and go to the job page and apply online, which is what I did. I applied last Friday, and a message was left on my answer phone on Monday to ring them back, I was surprised it was so quick as the closing date for the job isn't until 12th October.
  • Do you mind me asking how long the telephone interview was?
  • mazza1970
    mazza1970 Posts: 352
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    jukebox130 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how long the telephone interview was?

Hi, the telephone interview lasted between 10 and 20 minutes. I received a telephone call today to say the assessment day has now been changed to 7th November, wish me luck!!:eek:
  • Hiya all,

I have got the assessment tomorrow, I am really nervous as I don't know what to expect, but I will do my best. Wish me luck!:D
  • I would suggest that you have a recent copy of your CV (resume), all certificates and any other notes in front of you. Sit at a table/desk and act as though the interviewer is sat in front of you. This will make you sound more professional. Ensure you have a pad of paper and a pen to hand to make any notes and questions that can be asked later on in the conversation as they come to mind. Above all....smile!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure