Guide to house extension costs

tillson
tillson Posts: 167 Forumite
Don't forget the DIY and Home Improvement Deals Note

I am in the process of planning a ground level extension to my house 3.5 metres x 4 metres apex roof. Is there a rule of thumbe for estimating building costs? For example £/square metre formula.

I just want to have an idea of roughly where the prospective builders should be giving their quotes.

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Very roughly £1000/m2
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Eyesparky
    Eyesparky Posts: 689 Forumite
    I think it would be worth you buying a copy of "The House Builders Bible" by Mark Brinkley http://www.amazon.co.uk/Housebuilders-Bible-Insiders-Construction-Jungle/dp/0954867408/sr=11-1/qid=1164992154/ref=sr_11_1/202-6309066-0616635

This is a really helpful starting place for any building project or renovation, giving an indication of material and labour costs for most projects (or a guide where to find out current costs). Hope this helps.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We had an extension built last year, slightly larger than yours is going to be, ours was 4m x 5m. It cost £11K all in.
    That was project managing ourselves, hubby done alot of labouring...i.e clearing site, digging footings and moving materials from front of house to the rear. Also he did the wiring and plumbing himself. The planning app and building regs cost £500 but vary depending on size of proposed extension. We also sourced ALL the materials ourselves as the builder wanted too much to supply and fit, so we supplied and he fit. Its worth getting a quote for both though.
    Definately worth having the tiled apex roof, the difference between this and a flat roof was only about £300 and it looks way better IMO.

Last thing you MUST remember to do is to get a completion certificate from the building inspector. You will need this if you ever sell the property.

Anything else you want to ask please feel free to do so, either on this thread or by PM.
  • Have a nosey at this site too - it's not bad for getting an idea of costings and other things: http://www.house-extension.co.uk
  • I live on Anglesey, which is hardly the most expensive place in Britain to live, but when I asked an architect for an estimate of how much the building costs would be to extend our bedroom out over an existing single-storey extension (basically sticking three walls on top of three existing ones and putting a roof on), he came up with £24,500+VAT, and the available space is only 4mx4m.

This sum doesn't include fees for anything else (architect, planning etc.).

From what I've been able to pick up of the Web, this is grossly overpriced, but should I bother getting a second opinion? I could only really even consider going ahead if the price was about half what the architect estimated.

Regards

Gareth
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    I live on Anglesey, which is hardly the most expensive place in Britain to live, but when I asked an architect for an estimate of how much the building costs would be to extend our bedroom out over an existing single-storey extension (basically sticking three walls on top of three existing ones and putting a roof on), he came up with £24,500+VAT, and the available space is only 4mx4m.

This sum doesn't include fees for anything else (architect, planning etc.).

From what I've been able to pick up of the Web, this is grossly overpriced, but should I bother getting a second opinion? I could only really even consider going ahead if the price was about half what the architect estimated.

Regards

Gareth

Do get more quotes. I had an architect around & we discussed various figures that were so far outside anything sane that I've forgotten them! :o
    Think it was £130K!!! I am after a large double extension, but that's a crazy price, you can build a new house for £60K!!!
    Is the current structure suitable to build on, or will it need to be knocked down & rebuilt?
  • Sorry - I didn't realise my post had been replied to - I'll look for an option that emails me in future when that happens.

The current structure is fine to build on - in fact it's identical to one on the same side of the house on which we had built, with no problems, an extra bedroom 25 years ago, and is a simple 4mx4m square (or 3 sides of one).

At that time, we had that work done - and a huge extension at the end of the building which exactly doubled the size of the house (which was already quite a big one) - all for £25K!

Our recent experience only underlined the effects of house-building inflation over the years.

Regards,

Gareth

Is the current structure suitable to build on, or will it need to be knocked down & rebuilt?
  • halia
    halia Posts: 450 Forumite
    shelly wrote: »
    We had an extension built last year, slightly larger than yours is going to be, ours was 4m x 5m. It cost £11K all in.
    That was project managing ourselves, hubby done alot of labouring...i.e clearing site, digging footings and moving materials from front of house to the rear. Also he did the wiring and plumbing himself. The planning app and building regs cost £500 but vary depending on size of proposed extension. We also sourced ALL the materials ourselves as the builder wanted too much to supply and fit, so we supplied and he fit. Its worth getting a quote for both though.
    Definately worth having the tiled apex roof, the difference between this and a flat roof was only about £300 and it looks way better IMO.

Last thing you MUST remember to do is to get a completion certificate from the building inspector. You will need this if you ever sell the property.

Anything else you want to ask please feel free to do so, either on this thread or by PM.

Shelly - can I PM you or ask your advice? We are thinking of a move into a lovely 2 bed end of terrace house. But to do so we need to build an extension to give us 3 bedrooms. My preferred option at the moment is to do a double storey extension at the rear of the house. Its an end of terrace so no party walls and good access down a side tenfoot. We need to extend by 4ftx9ft (or about 1.5mx3m)
    Questions for you or anyone else:
    rough costs of the 'shell building work' for 1.5mx3m double storey, includes taking down old end wall, 3 new windows and 1 new door?

We can do all the work of fitting bathroom/kitchen etc ourselves (have done this several times already) - but how easy is it to get builders to just do the shell?

That will give us a third single bedroom of 6x9ft, a family bathroom 6ft square and a larger kitchen 9ftx13ft. Do people really expect more than 1 bathroom in a terraced 3 bed house or is this just the influence of posh houses/new builds/americans?

We'd be left with a back yard 15ftx10ft narrowing to 6ftx14ft - very sunny and private does the loss of 1.5mx2m make a huge difference (its only 2m as we'd take down an existing brickbuilt outside loo)

Would this fit in permitted development rights?

Is there a price differential between 2bed and 3bed houses? (we're not doing it for profit but its nice to know)

Do we need an architect or can we/builder draw up the plans?
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

• tillson
    tillson Posts: 167 Forumite
    I have started to obtain quotations for the proposed kitchen extension and shower room to our house. I have had detailed plans drawn up by an architect and I have written a detailed specification quoting the finish and services to be provided.

It basically consists of gutting the existing kitchen (Approx 3 m x 5m) demolishing a conservatory (approx 3m x 2.5m) building a single storey pitched roof extension 3.5m x 4.2m (2.5 of the walls already exist), creating a toilet and wet room in half of the old existing kitchen (2.7m x 2 m). The build is to be completed as far as provision of all electrical, drainage and water services in a plastered shell with concrete floor all suitable for tiling or painting.
    I have put the plans and spec out to four companies whose work I have seen and know to be of a good standard.

First quote is £35000.00

This does not include the provision of any decorative finishes such as tiles or flooring or the supply or fitting of the kitchen or the supply or fitting of toilet and shower room hardware. Also the wet room waterproofing / creation is not included.

This first quote is about £10K higher than I was expecting. Am I being over optimistic or is this builder trying it on? I am still waiting for the other three quotes to come in, but this first one is a bit of a shock.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Where about in the country are you? Home counties / London prices are going to be a lot more than say, rural Lancashire.
    My initial reaction is that £35k is a bit OTT but getting it done for £25k is perhaps a bit optimistic. Rule of thumb extension cost is £15k. Also, what are the ground conditions like? Fylde coast is a lot more work than say Manchester (typically).
    Sorry just re-read it. It does sound high and even £25k might be OTT. Depends a lot on location.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure