PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gluten-free fairy cakes

Just wondered if anyone could tell me if the following is gluten-free (the tub doesn't say)

stork margaring (ingrediants say veg oils, water salt)
gluten free plain flour
baking powder
sugar
eggs
-
icing sugar/water
-
glace cherries

**just made dd some fairy cakes to take to nursery for the leaving party and realised one kid is gluten intollerant so was planning on just making an extra 1/2 dozen cakes that are gluten-free so she doesn't miss out but i need to check all my ingrediants are gluten-free.

Thanks

Comments

• Yes, they're fine. Gluten is short for 'wheat gluten' so just need to be careful of anything with wheat in. Margarine has no wheat so perfectly ok. :o)
    Lightbulb moment: -£9,954.31 Current Debt: £0

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Thanks. Better get baking (again) then.....:rolleyes:
  • sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Gluten is the protein found in wheat. Similar proteins which are harmful to Coeliacs are present in rye, barley and possibly oats. Wheat, rye and barley are therefore excluded from the gluten-free diet. Oats may be allowed for some patients, under careful medical and dietetic supervision.

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/DietandNutrition/gluten.htm
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    watch out for the baking powder- some brands do have some wheat starch in them , you may be better off with separate bicarb and cream of tartar
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • wensday
    wensday Posts: 83 Forumite
    Gluten is in barley, rye and oats too....just be aware it's not wheat.

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/ is the official website of people that have to stick to this diet (like me). This has lots of helpful information.
  • ANNEGEDDES
    ANNEGEDDES Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    its the baking powder you need to watch xx
    Not setting myself any comp targets this year, didnt seem to work last year!!! £120.98/£2008
    2009/ maybyliene eyeshadow, rimmel polish, loreal foundation, Glamour: hairbrush
    boots card =2625
    quidoco= 110.00
    Thanks to all that take the time to post
  • Kelinik
    Kelinik Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Supercook baking powder is GF. :)
    :heart2: Mumma to DD 13yrs, DD 11yrs & DS 3 yrs. :heart2:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Was just about to suggest Supercooks as I was told that was GF, beat me to it Kelinik.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Went down a treat! Just pointed out to the nursery that those with a cherry on top were gluten free - other cakes with other toppings were normal. The kids mum seemed pleased I'd bothered with the gluten-free cakes (nursery double-checked with her first that it was OK). Mind you, my DD has to follow a dairy-free diet and i know i would really appreciate it if another parent goes out of their way. It's not a diet out of choice!

Thanks everyone for your last minute answers to my queries!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure