Real-life MMD: Whose lens is it anyway?

Comments

• rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but if you put something through my door and you don't come looking for it in 6 months I'm not looking for you myself. I'm neither a postwoman nor a detective. Don't put catalogues through my door, don't put parcels through my door that aren't for me. Mistakes happen, but if you've made a mistake, or someone you're paying has made a mistake, I'm not going to go to any more trouble than a quick email and asking the immediate neighbours. It's not my parcel! It'd be different if it were sentimental, but it's just an object. If they want it, they literally know where you live, which is more than you know about them.

If someone puts something into your house and doesn't give you any means of giving it back how on earth does that make you a thief? You literally didn't do anything at all. You can't steal something you were given, especially if you tried to give it back. Some people really don't know what stealing means.
  • Let me put it this way.....would you like someone to do this to you??? and I also think that your proposal to give some of the money you get for the lens to charity is a load of rubbish....who do you think you are kidding.......NO you do not sell it and if it makes you feel better pass it to the police and tell them you have made EVERY effort to find the true owner and if no-one claims it then in three months you can claim it as your own..........I'm pretty sure that is how it works...All I can suggest now is that you examine your own consciences and I'm sure you're not nasty people maybe just hard up.
  • I used to live in Blackpool at an address that was the same as one in Carleton (1 mile away) and another with the same address at Cleveleys (4 miles away.)
    In the years that I lived at that address we had, amongst other than wrongly addressed letters, new dustbins delivered, flowers, colectors for bus fare dogers, police looking for someone who gave our address, ambulance, and lots of other things.
    Most of the problems arose because of the wrong post code either being given or a fictitious address being given by somebody.
    I even had mail from debt collectors for somebody else but with my address and post code on them.
    Electricity bills for somebody else but with my address and post code on them.
    Even money put through the door in an envelope that was meant for the address in Carleton.

No I didnt keep it.

But I eventually did get fed up of trying to sort out other peoples mistakes.

My answer is if you have held onto it for 6 months and no one has contacted you, -it's yours.

You should not have to sort out a problem that was not caused by anything that you did.
  • Firstly if you find something you may agree to hold on to the property on the understanding that if the owner comes forward you must relinquish it.

As you have held on to it for some time now and the owner has not come forward you you should now hand it in at your local police station. You will be given a form that entitles you to collect it after 28 days if the owner does come forward. Then you may legally do as you wish with the item.

If you just go ahead and sell the item and the original owner comes forward then the new 'owner' of the item could be charged with having an item in their posession with has been taken without consent (TWOC).
  • Amalea
    Amalea Posts: 256 Forumite
    A lot of people state it is always illegal to open mail addressed to someone else. This is not actually what is stated in the Postal Services Act.

From: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/section/84

84 Interfering with the mail: general.

(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

So, if you are not acting in a "person's detriment" and have "reasonable excuse", for which there doesn't appear to be a definition of what qualifies under that description, then it isn't illegal.
    Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
  • Opening mail not addressed to you is a criminal offence.

A - no it isn't
    B - the actual issue is that it had no name on it.

But don't let actual facts get in the way, eh?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Jay1b
    Jay1b Posts: 316 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2012 at 8:02PM
    I've always thought there are a lot of judgemental people on here. Though I'd imagine how many of them would be quite so honest if they were the ones to benefit from it.

I don't think you should sell it straight away. Especially as you've already contacted them, what would you do if they turned up with a printout of their email and you've already sold it? Probably for a far bit less than they paid for it?

You could always take it down the police station, hand it in to lost and found. If its not claimed in 3 or 6 (can't remember) months then its yours legally. In the meantime if you are contacted then point them in the right direction, if you're not - then you've given them sufficient chance to chase it through.
    A bargain is only a bargain if you would have brought it anyway!
  • Jay1b
    Jay1b Posts: 316 Forumite
    A - no it isn't
    B - the actual issue is that it had no name on it.

But don't let actual facts get in the way, eh?

I've just brought a repossessed property and getting letters addressed to the previous owners. After researching this, it is an offence to open mail addressed to them - but not if its just addressed to the occupier or the house name.

However as it had no name on it, then they're quite rightly allowed to open it.
    A bargain is only a bargain if you would have brought it anyway!
  • Addressed to no one.....No forwarding address.......

Already waited 6 months.......Wait another 6 months

No response after that......... KEEP IT
  • ronangel
    ronangel Posts: 124 Forumite
    The important point here is did you sign for it?;)
    if not......:)
    The richard montgomery matter

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family