The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Crown/ Dulux Cupboard Paint

Hi,
I,m thinking of painting my kitchen doors with either crown or dulux cupboard paint.
The existing doors are a melomine type and I will fit new handles.

Has anyone used this type of paint in their kitchen.

Is it any good and does it stand up to the wear and tear .

I had thought about changing the doors but some of them appear not to be standards sizes

Any thoughts or advice is would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    yes I used a kitchen cupboard paint earlier in the year to spruce up my dark cupboards. I cant remember the make but specifically for cupboards. The key though is to thoroughly prep your doors so that the paint gets a good base to stick too. It was a fiddly job but worth it in the end
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've used International, and that worked well.
  • If you use the international melamine primer first you can use any good quality gloss or satin finish on top, which opens up a vaster range of colour options which are unavailable in the off the shelf options. The secret is in the preparation though and the akzo noble rep (they make international and crown paints) told me that you have to clean the doors thoroughlyfirst.
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Buy some 'ESP' from any Diy store, it comes in a metal container and looks like water, you wash this over the melamine with a clean J cloth or something like that, then leave for 5-10 mins and slightly wipe off leaving a film.

You then paint your cupboards, with your choice of paint.
    This 'ESP' is a primer for melamine, there is no prep involved, it does it all for you, I use this all the time on some of my jobs, as I have painted quite a lot of the old melamine wardrobes, but I must add, that I never use water base paint like an emulsion.

She grinch, is right in a way with the satinwood and gloss, but you must undercoat the doors first, perhaps twice with an oilbase paint, then top coat with either oilbase eggshell (flatter finish) or satinwood (sheen finnish), but again I would do the top coat at least twice, and you will be amazed how it looks, and it holds the paint, so it wont wash off or anything.
  • I used the cupboard makeover paint from one of the big makes. Worked ok but I did give it a coat of varnish over the top just to make it a bit more durable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure