Tesco or Asda??

Hi all :wave:

I always shop in Tesco as it is near my house, although when I do go to Asda (about 10 miles away) it seems much cheaper.

Asda have just started deliveries to my area and I wonder if it is worth starting to do my bigger shops from them online? And will the savings outweigh the loss of clubcard vouchers (currently around £150 per year) and delivery cost?

I'm just starting on a DMP and have £350 in the food budget for me and two children (although the eldest eats as much as a grown man!)

Any thoughts?
LBM:1/1/12
Debts @ LBM:£43,546 :eek: Debts now: £9,486 :cool: 78% PAID
Found YNAB 1/2/14 - the best thing EVER!

Comments

• pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Asda don't have a loyalty card but are considerably cheaper so you will probably save more money and won't be restricted as to what you can spend your money on unlike the clubcard.
    Personally I find Asda food to be better quality although don't buy asda smartprice cheese. It depends what you like it's probably worth a shot to do a shopping list for both stores and go on mysupermarket.com and work out how much you'd save if you went to asda rather than tesco (or if you save anything, depends what you buy).
    Asda do seem to have better deals than Tesco and Tesco has been noticed by many in its price rises.

It's really up to you, worth trying different shops though. It's not going to harm you :)
  • Tesco seems to be a lot more 'tricksy' with its pricing, so probably ASDA.
  • If you shop in Tesco cos it is near your house then you are missing out. Unfortunately so is my butcher and my baker, because Tesco is the one place I avoid and they are close to my home. My supermarkets of choice are Aldi and Lidl now, and my bank balance is so much healthier than it was before. I wish people would stop crawling the isles of Tesco and Asda for silly things like 6p Andrex and try to work out how brands have cost so many of us so much money.
  • I'd happily regularly shop in Aldi or Lidl as I'm not fussy about brands at all, but there just isn't one close to me so I only visit Aldi every now and again, and do try and buy things like wine in bulk from there. The only supermarkets in my town are Tesco (x2) or Sainsburys. I don't eat meat and have a breadmaker so don't need a butcher or a baker, just a cheap supermarket!

The 20 mile round trip to Asda or the 30 mile round trip to Aldi costs loads in petrol, and also in time (as I work full time and am a single Mum of two busy boys). But now the online/delivery option is available from Asda to my postcode I thought it might be a better option than Tesco. Online shopping also removes temptation.....
    LBM:1/1/12
    Debts @ LBM:£43,546 :eek: Debts now: £9,486 :cool: 78% PAID
    Found YNAB 1/2/14 - the best thing EVER!
  • I too have to consider petrol, but I still think it is worth the effort to do a non brand shop and compare costs. I am still working on the snobbishness of my children who are a bit iffy about it (although I do not include you in that in any way). If you can do the wine, take your time and see what you save.
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have Iceland/Farmfoods/Heron foods/Tescos/Lidls within 2 mins of walking so i shop a little at each. Adsa would cost me £4.50 to get there and back.
    Jan Wins: .
  • yertiz_2
    yertiz_2 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I regularly shop online between Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. I have to say that Asda are not always on time with delivery as on a couple of occasions they have arrived after the allocated 2 hour time slot, they also left a bag with dog food (not mine). Tesco always on time and after you select a 2 hour time slot say 2-4pm they will text you in the morning to tell you within the hour say 2.15-3.15. With Sainsburys you select a 1 hour time slot. Sorry, going off a bit there, but as to saving money I do find Asda slightly cheaper and of course depends on what you buy. The delivery costs with all of them are cheaper early on in the week so look at their websites as you could save money there. Hope that helps.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Tescos or Asda? No thanks.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• MattLFC
    MattLFC Posts: 397 Forumite
    Tesco for range of products, and quality of their Value range, Asda for actually having the products in stock (Tesco seems terrible for running out of stock).

Both seem the same pricewise, and both seem to have lots of stupid pricing tricks, as bad as each other generally.

Personally, I shop there only for the odd item if I'm nearby, preferring Lidl (handy cos its just down the road from my apartment, have a small Co-op even closer, but 57x the price for the same tat lol), Cooltrader, Home Bargains, Farmfoods (fantastic little shop, dirt cheap for branded and quality stuff), Iceland etc...
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    why not use my supermarket and if there are things cheaper in tesco leave them off your online shop and pop in to tesco for just those items, buying the rest from Asda.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure