Fine for not renewing road tax

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wig wrote:
    "A day late" well you see when you renew during the month that you expired it is back dated to the 1st of the month, meaning you pay for the full month, so the DVLA is happy because they have their money, and your car did not become untaxed.
    But then you have the offence of "not displaying a valid/current disc"

It also seems that the OP was driving the car for 2 months untaxed before he got the fine, "My car tax actually ran out on 31st July,"(post #7), " in October a letter plops through saying I owe an £80 penalty"(post #1), As post #2 says "it has its expiry date on and it is right there on your windscreen in front of you." So I do not think the OP has any valid reason for disputing the fine.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Wig wrote:
    Do you have any links on the bill of rights case? Do you know if he stupid enough to appeal?

From BBC News:

News - Man challenges fine with 1689 law

A 67-year-old man invokes the 1689 Bill of Rights to fight a £60 parking fine from Worcester City Council..
    18 Nov 2005

News - Parking fine fight at High Court

A 67-year-old who used a 300-year-old law to fight a £60 parking fine takes his case to the High Court.. National Parking Adjudication Service said illegal parking was not proved.
    5 Jan 2006
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    derrick wrote:
    But then you have the offence of "not displaying a valid/current disc"

Why? Why would anyone be stuipid enough to take/put/keep an unlicensed vehicle on the road? Please read my 2nd reply in this thread. Thread post #5. Why do people always have to say this as a response to me when I correctly state how long you have to renew a tax disc? It might also be intteresting to see what the DVLA say about the 14 days official grace period they give you, ask them what the situation is with driving the vehicle within those 14 days.
    It also seems that the OP was driving the car for 2 months untaxed before he got the fine, "My car tax actually ran out on 31st July,"(post #7), " in October a letter plops through saying I owe an £80 penalty"(post #1), As post #2 says "it has its expiry date on and it is right there on your windscreen in front of you." So I do not think the OP has any valid reason for disputing the fine.
    As everyone else has already said.
  • Wig
    Crabman wrote:
    From BBC News:

Oops edited too much out :)

So it seems he won his parking appeal, but still insisted on refering the whole matter to the high court for judicial review. LOL he's got balls.

A year later and we have no more info whether the case has been accepted by the high court.

Look at this link, I'm going to print it out and read it offline, it looks quite interesting.
    "proceedings may be recorded" Ha ha I love this guy turning their own incompetance against them.

http://www.bwmaonline.com/Robin de Crittenden's NPAS hearing.htm
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wig wrote:
    Why? Why would anyone be stuipid enough to take/put/keep an unlicensed vehicle on the road? Please read my 2nd reply in this thread. Thread post #5. Why do people always have to say this as a response to me when I correctly state how long you have to renew a tax disc? It might also be intteresting to see what the DVLA say about the 14 days official grace period they give you, ask them what the situation is with driving the vehicle within those 14 days.

Well people are and do, the OP did it for 2 months, so he must be stupid? You do NOT have 14 days grace,(that is a myth), you are liable from day one of the vehicle being on the road, that is why there is the offence of "not displaying a valid/current disc" because you can be prosecuted for that on the 1st day of the month if you do not display a current disc, so where does your mythical 14 days come from?

As everyone else has already said. But the OP has done this! meaning your other quote here is invalid. If the offence of not displaying a current disc IS an offence,(which it is), then by definition you cannot have 14 days grace!
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Wig
    What are you talking about?

"Why? Why would anyone be stuipid enough to take/put/keep an unlicensed vehicle on the road?"

Ok insert the word "deliberately" Obviously scum do it all the time. But anyone reading my comment #5 would be stupid to do so.
    You do NOT have 14 days grace,(that is a myth), you are liable from day one of the vehicle being on the road, that is why there is the offence of "not displaying a valid/current disc"

You do have atleast 28 days infact. You are NOT liable from day one. NO ONE ia talking about the vehicle ON THE ROAD, NO ONE is talking abot the offence of failure to display. Why didn't you read #5?

We are talking in this thread about the £80 penalty fine for non renewal. We are not talking about using an unlicensed vehicle (although it has been flagged up as a warning see post #5).

I asked you to read post #5 either you did not read it or you don't see the difference between a prosecution for "failure to display/hold a current VED" and "£80 penalty charge for failure to renew VED (or SORN)".

These two things are very different.
    As everyone else has already said. But the OP has done this! meaning your other quote here is invalid. If the offence of not displaying a current disc IS an offence,(which it is), then by definition you cannot have 14 days grace!
    What "other quote" of mine are you talking about? I can only assume you mean this one because you earlier replied to this one of mine

""A day late" well you see when you renew during the month that you expired it is back dated to the 1st of the month, meaning you pay for the full month, so the DVLA is happy because they have their money, and your car did not become untaxed."
    <<< insert "for DVLA penalty charge purposes only".

I was respondng to a question by Crabman....that's why I included the MSE board quote featuring Crabman, and to be perfectly clear I started off with "A day late" (Crabmans words). You see crabman was asking about the £80 fine he did not ask about using the vehicle on the highway. Presumably he had already read post #5 and understood the difference between the two issues.

As to the 14 days, I could have sworn someone once posted here a quote from the DVLA website where it said that, I have not got time to search right now, I will tomorrow. However, you do have the whole of the 1st expiry month to get it sorted, As I have explained many times before, if you do it within the first month you WILL NOT GET FINED £80.......please note NOWHERE did I say this applies to using your vehicle in the meantime on the highway, infact I specifically mentioned that you could not do that, because I knew someone like you, always comes along and confuses the two issues.
  • If the OP drove for 2 months without tax and the tax was £160 they saved about 2 x £13 so the £80 - £26 means the 'fine' was just £53. Pay up, move on and remember next time.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • reduceditem
    reduceditem Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Lets try to make this clear and simple.
    If you don't renew your tax disc and you are the registered keeper(you should already have received a reminder) you will recieve a computer generated warning letter 2 weeks later. If you still don't re-tax a computer generated fine is sent out to you on the 1st of the next month (exactly one calendar month after your tax expired.
    If you use your car on the road in the interim you could be caught by the DVLA's mobile enforcement unit who can clamp and impound your car. The police and authorised traffic wardens can issue fines too.
    The DVLA just want all the tax due for your vehicle so if you renew your tax inside of the month following your last discs expiry date they will happily backdate it and no more questions will be asked. However if you want to chance it by using the public road in this time you'll be running the risk of the penalties described above. Fetching your car out of your local DVLA 'pound' can bring a cloud to the sunniest of days.
  • Wig
    you will recieve a computer generated warning letter 2 weeks later. .

Didn't know that.
  • reduceditem
    reduceditem Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Wig...thanks for querying that. I checked back through my correspondence from the experience I described earlier in the thread and in fact you don't receive a warning letter after 14 days, the first letter you recieve will indeed be the fine a little over a month after your tax disc expires. I thought my standard reminder letter was a second warning letter because it got out of chronological order in the mountain of documents I have in relation to my appeal!
    My mistake and happy to correct it.
    The rest of my post I believe is accurate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure