someone coming to do assesment on house for bedroom tax

Comments

• AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    thats really harsh. so they should move now and then have to move again in 3 years when they need 3 bedrooms?

which means the associated costs of moveing as well as having to buy new florring * chances are the flooring they have now wont fit.

and what about people that need 1 bed properties that arent available?

oh yes ... rent pribately and cos even more in LHA, along side having NO real security.... great idea!

You mean like people who are privately renting and paying all of their own rent would need to do when circumstances change?
  • kirstycobie
    kirstycobie Posts: 276
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hiya,

thanks for the helpfull replies and thanks for the critisisim for the not so helpful ones!

if i could afford to put my little one in full time childcare so i could work full time and afford a mortgage i would NOT be in a council house!!! hence why i am in a council house!!!

all i wanted to know was would the council move me into a 2 bed or just ask me to pay the extra.

anyway, thanks again for the helpful replies.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    they wont move you inless you request a move .... if they would even do that!
  • kirstycobie
    kirstycobie Posts: 276
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tbh i would move, so hopefully they may move me to the area i would like to live,
    anyway, thanks for the quick reply.
  • nannytone wrote: »
    it's the difference in the rent, not in the housing benefit.

theyre not cutting the housing benefit by 14% for an unused bedroom ... theyre deducting 15% of the cost of the rent from their calculations.

thats ok if you get full housing benefit because it will work out the same, but if youre on a low income , you stabnd to lose a greater proprtion of your housing benefit.

someone who gets £10 a week in housibng benefit now, wont lose 14% of that £10 ... they will lose it all if their rent is £100 a week

No. The rent remains unchanged. The HB payable is reduced. It works out at about £11 a week for 1 under-occupied bedroom and £25 a week for 2.
  • What is ridiculous is that you were given a three bed house when you did not need one.

They were entitled to a 3 bed or a 2 bed. They chose a 3 bed so that each of their children can have a bedroom. It would also mean that they can stay their for many happy years until the children fly the nest, creating consistency and sustainable communities.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the point i am making is that the housing benefit isnt reduced by 14 % ( if it was, with an entitlement of £10 cureently, you would lose 14% of £10)
  • It may be ridiculous, but that's the way the allocations process works for social housing. In our case we HAD to bid for 2 bed properties whilst a homeless couple and got this one in Nov. 2011. We did bid for 1 bed properties, but were unsuccessful.

You didn't HAVE to bid on 2 beds, you CHOSE to. That's the whole point of CHOICE based lettings.
    It's hard to see how this bedroom tax will work out, and scary for those who will have to pay more put of limited incomes

This policy isn't coming into force until April next year, and has been talked about for over a year already. So plenty of time for people to decide on the most appropriate course of action. Unlike those on a mortgage who could see their re-payments sky-rocket overnight when interests rates rise again.
    the point i am making is that the housing benefit isnt reduced by 14 % ( if it was, with an entitlement of £10 cureently, you would lose 14% of £10)

The housing benefit entitlement, before any earnings/income is considered, is reduced.
    thats really harsh. so they should move now and then have to move again in 3 years when they need 3 bedrooms?

which means the associated costs of moveing as well as having to buy new florring * chances are the flooring they have now wont fit.

and what about people that need 1 bed properties that arent available?

oh yes ... rent pribately and cos even more in LHA, along side having NO real security.... great idea!

To move, or to pay, is a choice for individual tenants to make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure