World Book Night: one million free books to give away - have you been selected?

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yay....just got the email to say my books have arrived at my collection point :j
  • LadyH
    LadyH Posts: 2,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hello. I'm new to this thread. :D

I picked up my books - Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - today, and just filling out the book plate page. :D
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've had my email to say they will be ready for collection from tomorrow so looks like I'll be going out between the rain showers!
  • atarisrocks
    atarisrocks Posts: 645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    collected mine today they were heavy now gotta find a way to keep 25 books in my work locker to give out to the employees
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yay, picked up my 24 copies of 'Misery' today. :j Nearly killed me carrying that heavy box the half mile home.....:o
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 January 2013 at 4:28PM
    I've just received an email asking me to sign up to World Book Night once again. It's a scheme where you get a box of books, all the same title, to give away

From the website...
    World Book Night is a celebration of reading and books which sees tens of thousands of passionate volunteers gift specially chosen and printed WBN books in their communities to share their love of reading.
    Each year we recruit 20,000 volunteers to hand out 20 copies of their favourite book from our list to members of their community who don’t regularly read. By enlisting thousands of passionate book lovers around the country World Book Night reaches out to the millions of people in the UK who have yet to fall in love with reading in the hope that we can start them on their reading journey. In addition World Book Night distributes half a million books directly to the hardest to reach potential readers in prisons, care homes, hospitals, sheltered, supported and social housing, the homeless and through partner charities working throughout the UK. World Book Night is about giving books and encouraging reading in those who don’t regularly do so. But it is also about more than that: it’s about people, communities and connections, about reaching out to others and touching lives in the simplest of ways, through the sharing of stories.

http://www.worldbooknight.org/about-world-book-night/apply-to-be-a-giver

Each year I sign up, the idea is that you give the books free of charge to people who don't normally read. Mind you, I always keep one for myself :o

So not just a freebie for you, one for a lot of other people too :T
  • moneypenny2k
    moneypenny2k Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OOOO we got a wow :j
  • Missli
    Missli Posts: 7,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for posting. I would love to be involved. I hope I get picked! :D
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • I think this is definitely 'Wow!' The only problem is that I don't really think any of my favourite books would appeal to people who aren't already keen readers. Do you find people usually try to choose books with more general appeal, or do you take it literally and give people your favourite book regardless?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • Sorry, I fired off the question before reading the website and FAQs :o
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
This discussion has been closed.