The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Delivery rights: Play.com

Comments

• To counter some of the above. I ordered some DVDs last Saturday, with standard delivery.
    They have all turned up Wed and Thursday :)
  • DWatts
    DWatts Posts: 173 Forumite
    Interesting to see other people having similar problems with Play. Luckily, mine turned out very well.

I ordered some headphones on the 8th of December (Thursday). I chose free delivery which is 3-5 working days. The order (immediately) changed to 'processing in warehouse' so I could not cancel, and stayed that way until the 15th. I eventually found a contact e-mail and requested an update on my order, stating it had been 5 days and since it had not been dispatched yet, there was no way it would be delivered within the promised 3-5 working days. I requested that they send the item 1st class as a gesture of good will.

The item was marked as dispatched the next day and I got an e-mail later saying the item had been shipped, so no further action was required on their part. I received the headphones the next Monday, but strangely it did not have an invoice inside. Then I received another pair Tuesday with a full invoice. I'm guessing the person who received my e-mail got the warehouse to ship a pair to me, but did not indicate that on the order, so I got sent another one when the order actually went through. Both were sent 1st class in the end.
    K_P83 wrote: »
    As for their delivery service, if i want something in a hurry i NEVER buy from Play.com, they're so slow!!
    It's such a shame because when they first started their delivery service was excellent. As they've got bigger they've gone absolutely downhill.
  • neocorps
    neocorps Posts: 36
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »
    If your going to claim compensation atleast make it realistic, threatening to get solicitors involved over your request for the £4.99 refunded is clearly an empty threat.

What consequential losses have your incurred? As I assume you did not have to take additional days of work but chose to as to receive goods without arranging a redelivery on a day you have off?

How do you know if I did or did not take a day off work for the original day the package was meant to arrive? My claim was valid. If I wanted to take the matter further then yes, I could pursue the amount I lost for 1 days work and the "emotional stress" incurred also.

Someone previously said that play.com is very slow, its true they are. Don't use their express delivery, its just not worth it. To be honest, chasing after £4.99 was daunting and something I really don't want to do again. So I'll keep to the free delivery for now.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    neocorps wrote: »
    How do you know if I did or did not take a day off work for the original day the package was meant to arrive? My claim was valid. If I wanted to take the matter further then yes, I could pursue the amount I lost for 1 days work

Whether they breached the contract or not, you would be taking this day off work, by choice! So the fact they have not fulfilled the contract in relation to delivery time does not put you at a further loss for that day and is therefore not 'consequential loss'.
    and the "emotional stress" incurred also.

Well now your just being ridiculous.
  • arcon5
    Forumite
    dfh2012 wrote: »
    This thread is inviting people to recount their experiences regarding experiences of play.com. So there is no need to be judgemental when people have responded and provided their experiences. If they had started this thread as a rant, it would have been a different matter.

It's also a discussion forum and in the public domain whereby anybody can offer their opinion or advice. If you don't like that, then your in the wrong place.

As the saying goes.. if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen!
  • arcon5
    Forumite
    Fine. If it makes you happy and satisfied to do that, then do carry on !

To do what exactly..

These types of responses generally come from people who aren't people told what they want to hear.
  • neocorps
    Forumite
    Whether they breached the contract or not, you would be taking this day off work, by choice! So the fact they have not fulfilled the contract in relation to delivery time does not put you at a further loss for that day and is therefore not 'consequential loss'.

Well now your just being ridiculous.

Did you read the article?
    It's possible to get compensation for extra time off work, additional costs, and even inconvenience and distress caused by late delivery problems. Of course, we're not talking about when you stay in hoping the delivery may turn up, but when a delivery or installation's been booked for a certain day – and you've arranged to be in specifically to receive it.

I might be reading this wrong, but it seems that if play.com states that delivery will be the next working day, and it doesn't come, then they have failed to deliver on that booked date. To then fail to deliver the parcel two working days later also seems to be a valid claim if you need to sign for this parcel...

Yes emotional stress is ridiculous, but that just about explains the entire law system. Ridiculous.
  • arcon5
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2012 at 1:51PM
    Did you read the article?

Unfortunately yes -- and I think it shames MSE. (Either that or aspects are being taken out on the context intended in which case just poorly written).
    I might be reading this wrong, but it seems that if play.com states that delivery will be the next working day, and it doesn't come, then they have failed to deliver on that booked date. To then fail to deliver the parcel two working days later also seems to be a valid claim if you need to sign for this parcel...

Play didn't fail to deliver, the courier company did. It's just play.com are rightfully responsible for the actions of the third party.

To take 2 extra days to deliver a parcel containing luxury items is NOT a valid complaint for emotional distress! And if such an immaterial problem causes such, i'd hate to see how these people would hand 'real' problems in life!

If your referring to the compensation for the second day off work then the question stands, did you HAVE to take this second day off? Most of the time it would be a no -- you could rebook delivery for a more convenient day and therefore mitigating your losses. It's just most people are impatient and desire their parcel sooner rather than later.
    This aspect of the article is only somewhat valid IMO if it involves large and bulky items (suchas kitchen appliances) or important parcels (for example, medication required to be taken immediately).
    Yes emotional stress is ridiculous, but that just about explains the entire law system. Ridiculous.

It also sums up an aspect of society that needs to change.
  • neocorps
    Forumite
    Unfortunately yes -- and I think it shames MSE. (Either that or aspects are being taken out on the context intended in which case just poorly written).

Play didn't fail to deliver, the courier company did. It's just play.com are rightfully responsible for the actions of the third party.

To take 2 extra days to deliver a parcel containing luxury items is NOT a valid complaint for emotional distress! And if such an immaterial problem causes such, i'd hate to see how these people would hand 'real' problems in life!

If your referring to the compensation for the second day off work then the question stands, did you HAVE to take this second day off? Most of the time it would be a no -- you could rebook delivery for a more convenient day and therefore mitigating your losses. It's just most people are impatient and desire their parcel sooner rather than later.
    This aspect of the article is only somewhat valid IMO if it involves large and bulky items (suchas kitchen appliances) or important parcels (for example, medication required to be taken immediately).

It also sums up an aspect of society that needs to change.

Yes, it seems you are right actually. Like you said, perhaps the article is aimed at larger items and medication. Through it should be clearly stated.

Through I have to say you do need to take them additional days off work. Maybe not during the year because you can risk the parcel bouncing but around Christmas you can't take that chance.

Yes the entire compensation system needs reforming, its still good to use it as leverage if you only intend to pursue a small refund only.
  • arcon5
    Forumite
    You chose Express Delivery and play said that the item would be with you within a stipulated time. It did not arrive within that time and as such you have valid grounds for a complaint.

Absolutely. It's not in dispute that you have a right to complain, ofcourse you should. Whats in dispute is whether compensation is appropriate and proportionate to the situation.
    Not to mention that the first e-mail they sent shows that they did not even bother to readyour mail and just sent you a stock reply. Just as bad as the very representative on here.

Large companies rarely do i'm afraid. Which is why you vote with your feet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure