Discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards

This thread is to discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards.

Please read the Airline Credit Card guide for full info about all the top flight reward cards.

Click reply to discuss

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2010 at 10:25AM
    The LloydsTSB Airmiles AmEx is fine as far as it goes, which is not too far with earnings of 1 Airmile per complete £10.

So, selected earnings for the AmEx:
    • £9.99: 0 Airmiles
    • £10: 1 Airmile
    • £19.99: 1 Airmile
    • £20: 2 Airmiles
    • £29.99: 2 Airmiles
    • £30: 3 Airmiles
    and so on.

Double miles on foreign transactions - 1 Airmile per complete £5 - but beware the foreign exchange surcharge of 2.95%. I'll still be using my Nationwide Visa credit card in Europe and my Halifax Clarity MasterCard elsewhere.

The LloydsTSB MasterCard is a waste of time at 1 Airmile per complete £50, so £49.99 expenditure earns 0 Airmiles. :D
  • Roger1 wrote: »
    earnings of 1 Airmile per complete £10.

Is it? I think it's based on your total monthly spending not on every transaction. Last month I spent £1014.32 over 25 transactions on my AMEX card. So I received 101 airmiles.
  • Roger1
    Forumite
    choc_mouse wrote: »
    Last month I spent £1014.32 over 25 transactions on my AMEX card. So I received 101 airmiles.
    Yup, looks like 1 Airmile per complete £10 to me. On your balance, you didn't get anything for the odd £4.32.

With larger amounts, it's less relevant than with smaller amounts. I'd be gutted spending £49.99 with the green card and earning nothing, though.

MBNA AmEx cards carry over any odd balance to the next month, combine that with the next month's spend and then calculate on the new balance. But as they generally award points per pound, we're only talking about odd pence being carried over as compared with potentially the odd £9.99 being lost with the LloydsTSB AmEx.

AmEx's own cards ignore pence per transaction when awarding points.
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I disagree, taken from T&C's:

"You will earn 1 Airmile for every £10 spent on Eligible Purchases
    which are not Foreign Exchange Transactions using your Duo
    American Express® card, and 1 Airmile for every £50 spent on
    Eligible Purchases which are not Foreign Exchange Transactions
    using your Duo MasterCard card or any other rate we may
    decide. We will tell you which rates apply. Any remaining balance
    of less than £10 or £50 respectively will be disregarded."

There won't be a 'remaining balance' if it is done on a per transaction basis.
  • choc_mouse
    choc_mouse Posts: 487 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2010 at 7:27PM
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Yup, looks like 1 Airmile per complete £10 to me. On your balance, you didn't get anything for the odd £4.32.

With larger amounts, it's less relevant than with smaller amounts. I'd be gutted spending £49.99 with the green card and earning nothing, though.

MBNA AmEx cards carry over any odd balance to the next month, combine that with the next month's spend and then calculate on the new balance. But as they generally award points per pound, we're only talking about odd pence being carried over as compared with potentially the odd £9.99 being lost with the LloydsTSB AmEx.

AmEx's own cards ignore pence per transaction when awarding points.

Umm...I agree I didn't get anything for the £4.32 because it was rounded down from my monthly spend. I don't feel too cheated by this as the most I stand to lose is 12 airmiles/year.

I think we have the same understanding but you're confusing your words, so just to be clear...

My definition of a transaction is the amount spent at the till/online.
    My definition of monthly spend is the sum of all those transactions (or purchases) since my last billing date.

Example: You have 5 transactions on your bill:
    1) Buy a sandwich £2.50
    2) Buy an iphone £599
    3) Buy a sandwich and coffee £5
    4) Buy a train ticket £24.95
    5) Buy a sandwich and coffee £5

The total of all the transactions is £636.45

If Airmiles was awarded on a per transaction basis:
    - Transaction 1,3 and 5 would earn 0 Airmiles.
    - Transaction 2 would earn 59 Airmiles.
    - Transaction 4 would earn 2 Airmiles
    Giving a total of 59+2 = 61 Airmiles.

If Airmiles was awarded on your monthly spend you would get 63 Airmiles. This higher rate is actually how LTSB calculate it.
  • Just re-read your post Roger and think we're just saying the same thing! Should have read it more carefully. Oh well, at least it's clear for anyone who doesn't know :D
  • Roger1
    Forumite
    No worries, choc_mouse! :)

I mentioned 'per transaction' in connection with Amex's own cards. Just for the avoidance of misunderstanding, by this I meant the cards that AmEx themselves issue, for example the AmEx Platinum and Gold charge cards and the BA AmEx credit cards. These cards ignore pence for each transaction when calculating award points/miles.

I wasn't referring to the LloydsTSB Duo AmEx which of course isn't issued by AmEx but by LloydsTSB and awards Airmiles in multiples of £10, ignoring anything between £0.00 and £9.99 on the monthly total.
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Roger1 wrote: »
    The LloydsTSB MasterCard is a waste of time at 1 Airmile per complete £50, so £49.99 expenditure earns 0 Airmiles. :D

I bought something on the MasterCard that came to £49.99. The shop keeper thought I was mad when I asked him if he could add a penny to it to make it £50. He put the transaction through at £50 and gave me the penny from the till.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Had a call today out of the blue from my local branch offering me this, to which I agreed and was accepted. I was quite surprised as I'm an 18 year old student, but pleased that I shall be getting a normal credit card with a normal APR, earning me airmiles in the process! Just got rid of my Vanquis at 59.9% APR, not that I ever carried a balance over, so its good timing really...
  • Just found this offer today giving 250 miles for airmiles duo customers:

(the forum won't let me post the link itself...but the web address is)
    amexnetwork.co.uk/250airmiles

My understanding is that you have to spend on your AMEX in 8 shops (out of 18) and then you earn the extra miles. Doesn't seem that difficult given I have lots of christmas shopping to be doing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure