Rug Doctor used, now carpets have a bad smell

We've used Rug Doctor machines a few times already and the most recent one (this weekend) seemed no different.

Yet a couple of days later there is a noticeable smell. The doors and windows were left open all day and the weekend weather was nice, dry and warm so I can't see that we've done anything wrong. In fact, the last time it was used was Winter and we had just the central heating to help dry the place.

I've been in contact with Rug Doctor who've said they'll recall the machine and have it tested. Assuming it has a fault they will then admit liability and have the carpets cleaned/restored professionally. They also issued a free deodoriser spray for the affected carpets.

What I wondered was what you folks think could be the cause of this. Poor suction on the machine perhaps leading to excess moisture in the carpets?

Comments

• Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, I would say so.

We had the same problem when we borrowed one from someone. It was the cheap hoover type and several days later it smelt stagnant and musty.

Basically, it hadn't sucked up the vast majority of water so the carpet and underlay stayed wet and then smelled as the water was trapped under it.

On the plus side, it did dry out and the smell went after venting the room, but it took 10 days or so before you could walk back into the house and not smell anything unpleasant.

A rug doctor shouldn't do that at they are far better machines, so it must have lost suction and be a duff machine.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd bet on it being poor suction too. I usually run it over one last time without spraying any water, just in case.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Fork86
    Fork86 Posts: 398
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Get some silica crystals and some water traps, that should suck out all the moisture from the carpets and prevent any mould from growing!
    Try to imagine nothing ever existed...
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,268
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just do the shake and vac and put the freshness back - do the shake and vac and put your freshness back!!

I shall be singing that all day now :rolleyes:
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I'd bet on it being poor suction too. I usually run it over one last time without spraying any water, just in case.

I do this too, I never really see any water being sucked up after a dry run but still I expect if the water had time to soak through into the underlay that's what's causing the problem.

I used the deodoriser that was provided, left it overnight and the smell has gone, although at this stage I'm not sure whether that's due to the lemon scent in the deodoriser.
    Magnolia wrote: »
    Just do the shake and vac and put the freshness back - do the shake and vac and put your freshness back!!

I shall be singing that all day now :rolleyes:
    Haha - just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8CTscW3dpI :p
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,268
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    @ Crabman - 2.gif
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Crabman
    Forumite
    The smell in the bathroom is back, I expect since the deodoriser spray effectively put a lot of moisture back into the carpet.

I've obtained an independent opinion from a local carpet cleaning firm and their view is that the hire machine didn't vacuum the water properly and as a result we are in a similar situation as that of a flood.

After looking at the equipment the professional showed me, I think that's the last time we'll use a Rug Doctor. His price was about double what we paid but when you factor in that they would do the cleaning, etc. it's not a bad deal :rolleyes:
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Carpet in bathroom is a nightmare..

Men usually cant hold there aim.

Ditch it for some vinyl..
  • Crabman
    Forumite
    The smell is also present in the living room and hallway but to a lesser degree and as per independent opinion is probably due to the lingering moisture combining with bacteria in the carpet.

At long last the machine is due to be picked up from Homebase so we'll find out soon what Rug Doctor's reponse is. Unfortunately Homebase prepared the machine for collection by Rug Doctor a couple of days ago but didn't bother to tell them it was ready :rolleyes:
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Crabman wrote: »
    We've used Rug Doctor machines a few times already and the most recent one (this weekend) seemed no different.

Yet a couple of days later there is a noticeable smell. The doors and windows were left open all day and the weekend weather was nice, dry and warm so I can't see that we've done anything wrong. In fact, the last time it was used was Winter and we had just the central heating to help dry the place.

Central heating will help evaporate the water, but the carpets won't dry unless you ventilate as well, as the air will soon become saturated. Maybe you didn't leave the windows open for sufficient days for the carpet to dry thoroughly? :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport