Stairlift problems

I was lucky enough to be given a second hand stairlift, from someone who no longer needed it. It has been good for a year or so, but now it stops just short of the top stair ! Is there anyone who could give me some advice on what it may be. Thanks in advance,

Comments

• olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Sorry, couldn't help thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZw3U5MbUmc

Enjoy!

Olias
  • Yup. Straight for 13 steps, stops at stair 12, hands off switch, wait and then press switch and up she goes...until today, when she stopped and didn't go. I used the winder to move up a little bit and the green light came on again and went to the top.When it stops, it makes no difference if it is switched off or on or if the key is out, the red light stays on ! She has bent the key in the lock, but it still switches off and on.
  • Yabbadabbadoo... I have just cleaned the point where it was stopping and it seems to be cured.. I will have abetter look and clean the rest tomorrow after work. Thanks.
  • We have a Bison Bede stairlift on a straight 13-step-long aluminum rail. It only usually gets used once down, once up about 4 days a week so hardly warrants the annual service we give it. Still, better safe than sorry. Our engineer always stresses the merits of keeping the rail clean of dust and that black carbon residue emitted by the motor. If these build up they will cause problems by sticking to the running wheels.

I find a very weak solution of fairy liquid once a week, both on the top surface of the rail and the underneath where the opposing wheels travel works just fine. The engineer said once that you can overdo it and make things too "dry" for the wheels, in which case just the merest touch of WD40 or some candle wax will loosen thing up nicely.

Safety first - remember to cut the power before messing about near the wheels. Those motors are powerful and geared to mean business!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,944
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    olias wrote: »
    Sorry, couldn't help thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZw3U5MbUmc

Enjoy!

Olias
    love it! However, I think mum's has a battery which would mean she wouldn't be stuck in the event of a power cut ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Damn..spoke too soon. still sticking 1 stair short of the top.. oh well, I am off next week so thats another job on the list...
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was lucky enough to be given a second hand stairlift, from someone who no longer needed it. It has been good for a year or so, but now it stops just short of the top stair ! Is there anyone who could give me some advice on what it may be. Thanks in advance,

Apart from getting a local stairlift serving firm to do a service, suggest:

Make sure the stairs are clear, stairlifts have many safety features that stop the lift if tripped, say it hits a fixed object, or the the footrest not quite clearing the step at that point, is a bit of trim hanging down

Check the rail is clear and clean, does not have unnecessary lubication etc

If it pulls a wire along, is this fouling the track or does it have break at certain angles

Is the user putting on weight and over the load limit?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Albion
    Albion Posts: 10 Forumite
    I see that there is a lot of misguided information currently doing the rounds.Believe me black carbon deposits on the track has nothing at all to do with the Gearbox.
    It is mainly caused by over lubrication of the rollers or wheels,and here's a bit of advice for anyone who has a Stairlift and who wants to clean the track.Use a damp cloth and wipe the track down and always remember to fully dry it off after.
    *Do not use any type of oil on the track*
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Albion
    Albion Posts: 10 Forumite

Can you tell me what make and model you have grumpy?
    You should be able to find this info somewhere on the stairlift itself usually near where the key or on/off switch is situated.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I'm all for anyone offering help to the disabled & vulnerable, even first time posters. I assume anyone sitting at their computer doesn't just by chance come across a thread on MSE about 'stairlifts' but actually searches the World Wide Web for the word stair lift for a very specific reason. It's strange how many first time posters are here to help people with star lifts - such as this one one that was here [but pulled by the moderators].

In this case 'ConsumerAffairs', another brand new poster is offering help to anyone on the condition they go off the board and away from the safety and scrutiny the board we users, and its moderators offer. Its entirely possible that 'ConsumerAffairs' is a nice genuine person - its equally possible he is just here touting for business and money by getting people into private messaging, I don't know, you don't know, no one knows.

NOTE: There are many vulnerable people on this board who might just be enticed off forum and out of view to the dark murky unseen and unsafe world of Private Messaging in response to an invitation from a complete stranger. Don't do this, protect yourself by posting openly in the forum - if in doubt ask for a moderator or email the MSE team for advice before you go to private messaging and especially before you hand over any private details.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure