Home Heating Oil

There was a topic recently on this board which listed heating oil suppliers in NI. Where did it go ? I need to order oil and I cant find it ! ???

The link I have is http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=NI;action=display;num=1082188527;start=0#0

Anyone any advice on the cheapest supplier at the moment ?

Thanks

Springfield
Mark Hughes' blue and white army

Comments

• Springfield,

The majority of the pages on the NI board were wiped out during a techie reshuffle, this was in an effort to make the site quicker.

The link which I think you are looking for is This

Let us know if this is the one and if not maybe someone else can help out ;)

HTH
  • Thanks arkonite, That link is very helpful.

Cheers

Springfield
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • gorilla
    gorilla Posts: 217 Forumite
    I used Home Fuels last week. I ordered 600 lts and they were the cheapest at £158, although this is £55 dearer than the last oil I bought in March.
  • I am new to this oil central heating malarkey, so excuse me if I reveal my ignorance in public, but what is 28 Sec Kerosene and what is 35 Sec Gas Oil...and which one do I want for domestic central heating?

Am currently freezing my nubbins off as my oil ran out tonight...brrr!
  • This is effectively the trhickness of the oil. 28 sec (Kerosine) is paraffin whilst the 35 sec oil is deisel. Most boilers run on 28 sec oil which is also cleaner burning. A few pressure jet boilers can use either oil.

Stay warm, and you may need to bleed the air out of your boiler before it will fire.

good luck
  • Hi -

How old is your boiler?

Newer ones won't need bled - you just need to press the red-light button, maybe a couple of times until it fires up.

If it needs bled - take off the cover and you should see a nut about 2 cm wide going into the front of the burner as you look at it. Put a basin below this to catch the oil spillage. Loosen the nut a bit and press the button to fire the boiler up (red light). You may need to do this a few times but you will know it's going to plan when the oil comes out from behind the nut. As soon as this happens - tighten the nut up again.

Hope this makes a bit of sense - if you need any more help just ask ;)

BTW - if it happens again in future ask the guy delivering the oil to do it for you. They usually will do it no problem (takes about 2 mins).

Good luck! :)
    sufferinsnickerinrickrastadley
  • Redon fuel. Doagh Road Newtownabbey. £199 for 900lts. use this as a starting price. try cawoods
    now im back in the ring to take another swing
  • I live in Bangor and got quotes from 10 companies for 1000 litres of oil on 25/1/05 - so its not the prices that are important but the RANKING of the companies. All numbers were obtained from the yellow pages. Here they are in rank order:-

Kane £273 91270439
    Meekin £261 94432417
    Carlisle £257 91275212
    https://www.cheaperoil.com £256
    Home £252 91477766
    Ritchie £250 91812608
    Nicholl £249 90777879
    Down £243 91861556
    Penninsula £236 91861515
    Clandeboye £233 91478581

Then I phoned Maxol direct and they matched cheapest quote, was able to pay in 12 days or something like that and by credit card - so no up front payments.

I didn't like https://www.cheaperoil.com because you don't know who is delivering the oil and I assume the website is adding its commisson onto the cost.

I also found the dearest Kane to be very smug about their price and asked me to phone them next time i wanted oil without willing to move on the price. This is blatant rip off time by the companies with the dearer prices. Also Maxol direct admitted the price they gave me was rock bottom and was only doing it not to lose my business. But in the end, I, the customer was the winner
    happiness is being able to have one more drink
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ollywood68 wrote:
    I didn't like https://www.cheaperoil.com because you don't know who is delivering the oil and I assume the website is adding its commisson onto the cost.
    cheaperoil.com are actually Nicholl Fuels, so they are a "reliable" name. Their price is basically nicholl's with a few quid knocked off. I would not bother paying the extra for their "quick delivery" as both myself and my boyfriend have had oil delivered next day without paying extra. I purchased 500l from them on monday this week (24th Jan) and paid £119, Nicholl themselves wanted £122, my usual supplier, maxol wanted £134 and when pressed to match cheaperoil refused. They came down to £122 with haggling but would not match them quoting cheaperoil's delivery policy as being inferior. Well they lost my custom and i got my oil the next day so i was happy. perhaps maxol will try to woo me back next time with some better discounts/special offers (i'm a sucker for their free cinema tickets)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    my mum gets her oil in the summer because it's cheaper then!;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts