Good reliable family car.

Comments

• Now33
    Now33 Posts: 162 Forumite
    I myself am considering a brand new Focus - with the new model out any day now I am hoping to perhaps find an excellent price on the outgoing model. On the DrivetheDeal website there are some quite keen prices (albeit they were only valid up to the end of December), but really I want to buy from a local main dealer. Has anyone been able to get any good deals from their local dealer?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    traveller wrote: »
    Hi, thanks to everyone that has replied! I specified petrol as that's all I was familiar with before.Is there any great difference or advantage of either?

To decide between Petrol or Diesel you really need to do your sums. Additional cost of purchasing the car versus your annual mileage and the higher cost of diesel over petrol all in conjunction with the mpg of both.

My other concern is that with a family of five the favourite suggestion on here might prove a little small especially if you are travelling any distance or going on holiday or have dogs etc I think you really want to think long and hard what you are going to be doing before buying your car. An MPV or a slightly larger estate might be more appropriate.

I would take your time on this you don't mention how many cars the family will have and assuming you will have more than one what the other is and if it will do the longer trips.
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Hi, there will only be one car in the family.The kids ages are 15, 11, 8 and a newborn in may.We don't holiday in England, but I would want it to drive to the airport when we go away.In the main, the car will be for shopping trips,dropping kids off at various clubs ect and any other social events.We don't have any dogs ect to factor in.
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    maybe look at the focus estate to give yourself a bit more room...
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    as above the focus estate or even the focus saloon with the larger boot to fit all the cases in.
    ...work permit granted!
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    As much as the Toyota Yaris is a good car, the boot would be far too small for you! There isn't room for a pushchair or any of the 'clobber' that kids need - also it wouldn't be big enough inside for everyone!

Try the Toyota Corolla instead - very reliable.
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • With 4 children I would certainly go for an MPV. I dont know which one to recommend though because I am in the process of choosing one myself.
  • We've had Renault Scenics from when my children were aged 13, 11 and 9 - we drove all over Europe and have never had any problems in eleven years (touch wood biggrin.gif). Plenty of space for luggage too. We chose the Scenic as each child had his own "separate" seat and that makes it even more versatile with the folding down combinations.

However, with 4 children you will need something a bit bigger to give seats for 6 - maybe a Zafira or the recent Scenic Grand both of which can seat 7 people (Scenic Grand may still be out of your price range)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    lakeview wrote: »
    A 4x4 off-road vehicle simply for the pure fact of that it is a big, spacious and 100% safe for all your family.

No car is 100% safe, if it is driven badly, what a silly statement to make.. :rolleyes:
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Inactive wrote: »
    No car is 100% safe, if it is driven badly, what a silly statement to make.. :rolleyes:

I can't find lakeviews post but I have to agree with the above. There are many factors for not buying a 4x4 (and I instruct 4X4):- wrong tyres, poor braking, poor road holding, light back end are just some of the factors that could affect how the car handles.

Have you ever seen the footage of a Discovery flipping over on the Motorway?

From what says they would not be happy in a 4x4 anyway so a good size estate or an mpv would probably be the right choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure