Can you use antiseptic cream on a dog, and if not why?

2»

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Savlon now do an antiseptic spray, which I use on my dog. It's much easier than trying to get cream through the fur.
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tr3mor wrote: »
    Savlon now do an antiseptic spray, which I use on my dog. It's much easier than trying to get cream through the fur.

You`ve just brought back a memory of when i tried to use spray on plaster underneath my dogs paw for a cut pad :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You`ve never seen anything like it in your life, never again!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Sunnyday wrote: »
    You`ve just brought back a memory of when i tried to use spray on plaster underneath my dogs paw for a cut pad :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You`ve never seen anything like it in your life, never again!

SD

What happened?! Dying to know now!:j (Have never used that stuff so I don't know what it's like...)
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What happened?! Dying to know now!:j (Have never used that stuff so I don't know what it's like...)

It makes such a loud hiss when it comes out of the tin, it was absolutely hilarious. She was about a year old and she is double jointed and very big and bendy. She was leaping all over the place to get out of the way and it was soooo funny :D

She wasn`t scared but didn`t know what it was and the expression on her face was unbelieveable, she is crossed with a mastiff so the wrinkles on her forehead were working overtime. Cue one loose radiator in the hallway and a mad hound that thought it was some kind of new game :rotfl:

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • lol sudocream isnt for use on open wounds! itsd non healing, rather its a water barrier.

its for damaged areas where the skin is not broken.
  • Hilarious, Sunnyday, would have liked to see that :D

One of our dogs is very sensitive to smells and if I spray something near her or even (as I'm often doing as my hands get very dry) rub hand cream in near her, she pulls the funniest face, sort of lifts her lips and sometimes starts sneezing. We only have to get the grooming spray out now and she starts pulling faces :)
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use sudocream for sore ( red doggy) bottoms, and hot spots. for any other kind of open sore I go to the Vets. Which is a good idea for everyone, heres why.

TJ had an open sore on his bottom, it wouldnt heal and after a few day of bathing I took him to the Vets. At first Vet thought it could be an insect bite. 1 injection and a few days later it was no better. Back to the Vets.

Anyway it was a nasty, operated on a few days later. Boy we were lucky it was a melonoma but we caught it very quick (stage 1) So please if you see a sore that doesnt seen to be getting better, get it checked out. Better safe than sorry. It looked so harmless, and small.

We were lucky, so many others saddly are not.

Chris n TJ x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Sudocrem & hibiscrub can certainly be used (I've been provided with or discussed using both with/ by vets). Saltwater is another alternative.

I'd avoid phenol based products (eg TCP) as these can be toxic to dogs & many other products can also be so I would therefore suggest seeking veterinary advice before doing so if unsure about any product
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure