PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting a house I will inherit. Novice, costs breakdown

Comments

• jimsmillions
    jimsmillions Posts: 177 Forumite
    Eton_Rifle wrote: »
    Do not underestimate the cost of repairs. They are beyond whatever you can imagine! Tenants are not of the same mindset as homeowners.

I'm being comical here to make a point but start with the assumption that tenants expect to be living in hotel like conditions and have no tolerance for even the tiniest house quirks that homeowners don't think twice about and wouldn't even bother fixing.
    That window that has always needed a wee shove to open? Tenants will demand a carpenter immediately!

Also assume they are like little children who have to have everything done for them. They can't do the simplest repairs themselves and probably you wouldn't want them to anyway.

If you use an agency for maintenance, you will find yourself paying professional rates for incredibly simple tasks that you would do without thinking and would cost virtually nothing (e.g. £95 for me to replace a toilet ballcock recently because it was beneath the tenant's dignity or ability to do it himself.)
    Sometimes I wonder that they can bring themselves to change lightbulbs without ringing a bell and having a professional lightbulb fitter run round!

I'm laughing about it of course because it's all part of the landlord's job but you do need to realise tenant mentality can be diametrically opposed to that of a homeowner and you are responsible for the resulting costs. Don't underestimate them.

Thanks for the food for thought. I know someone that runs their own DIY firm and has done various types of work for me at low prices. Pretty sure he would run it for a small annual fee plus the cost of jobs.

Once things are settled think I will go get some professional advice. Who would be good to go to? A financial advisor or someone else?
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Like I said good accountant as you would be come self employed and have to do a Tax return so you may as well employ a professional.
    Join a landlords assocation for advice and help with tenancy agreements, other forms etc.
    Check you are doing verything right, smoke alarms, gas safety certificate, CO2 alarm, electrics checked and certificate ( lasts 5 years) LL insurance, shut off the loft area as property become a 3 storey property ( more problems than its worth)
    Do you rent furnished or unfurnished , type of tenants etc
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    PS take out an Interest Only BTL mortgage ( most BTL mortgages are IO!)
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2012 at 8:41PM
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    Like I said good accountant as you would be come self employed and have to do a Tax return so you may as well employ a professional.
    Join a landlords assocation for advice and help with tenancy agreements, other forms etc.
    Check you are doing verything right, smoke alarms, gas safety certificate, CO2 alarm, electrics checked and certificate ( lasts 5 years) LL insurance, shut off the loft area as property become a 3 storey property ( more problems than its worth)
    Do you rent furnished or unfurnished , type of tenants etc

Self assessment Tax return on one single property is easy - no need for professional if you keep adequate records, a simple list of incoming and outgoings, plus receipts incase HMRC ever do a ramdom check. Can even be done online very easily and there is plenty of guidance on the HMRC website.

Although a good investment, smoke alarms are only compulsory in HMO's and CO alarms (CO2 is carbon dioxide!) are not compulsory at all - they only work if tenant can be bothered to change the battery anyway!

You cannot just "shut off" the loft area - unless it is specifically excluded in writing on the tenancy agreement, then tenant has a right to use it. The 3 storeys only becomes an issue if the third storey is "inhabitable", ie can be used as living space. Using loft for storage is not a problem.
  • jimsmillions
    jimsmillions Posts: 177 Forumite
    Thanks again for all the advice. I already am self employed and do a basic tax return so guess I could lump it all in together.

Why would I take out a BTL mortgage when nothing is owed on the house?

Will start to look into the other stuff soon :)
  • Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    Don't underestimate the emotional side of things either. Might be hard to see other people in your parents' house, particularly if they do not take great care of the place.

I know someone who rented out his late mother's house - he ended up dreading going to the house for inspections/routine maintenance etc. Not that the tenants had trashed the place or anything, it was just a constant reminder of the loss of his mum. And he felt a bit uncomfortable about having to view his mum's home in financial terms of profit and loss.

He sold it, bought another just a few streets away and rents that one out. He is a lot happier with things that way.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite

If you use an agency for maintenance, you will find yourself paying professional rates for incredibly simple tasks that you would do without thinking and would cost virtually nothing (e.g. £95 for me to replace a toilet ballcock recently because it was beneath the tenant's dignity or ability to do it himself.)
    Sometimes I wonder that they can bring themselves to change lightbulbs without ringing a bell and having a professional lightbulb fitter run round!

I'm laughing about it of course because it's all part of the landlord's job but you do need to realise tenant mentality can be diametrically opposed to that of a homeowner and you are responsible for the resulting costs. Don't underestimate them.

I used to do it all myself. Then my LL put my rent up, and then put it on the market a month later.

Suddenly my ability to fix things has gone...
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks again for all the advice. I already am self employed and do a basic tax return so guess I could lump it all in together.

If you are declaring rental income, there is a specific part of the Self assessment for "Income from Property", so if you do paper returns, make sure you get that part, and if online, look for the correct section.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why would I take out a BTL mortgage when nothing is owed on the house?
    Because the mortgage interest payments are tax deductable.

You'll need to do your own calculations to decide whether the tax savings compensate for the mortgage costs....
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I do it all myself to stop the landlord coming round.

I've played that game before. Give them an inch and they take a mile, round my way.

I find it's best not to remind them of your existence.

Ive never even met my LL! All goes through an Agent and they dont ever come round for repairs, just the same handyman.

I havent gone took the mick to be honest, just consistent problems with the thermostat on the washing machine which I couldnt do myself and an electrical fault which would have burnt the place down anyway if not sorted :P But I feel a lot less guilty about calling them out now :P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure