School Dinner Lady / lunchtime supervisor pay?

My wife is looking to go back to work after 6 years off looking after our 2 daughters, she will be looking to go back as a dinner lady or r (as they call it now) and then in a 2 years hopefully move on to classroom asstintant.

Anybody know what the pay is for dinner lady or lunchtime supervisor, I do beleave that you get payed for 52 weeks of the year, could somebody please confirm this.

many thanks................

Comments

• crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Some council do adverage out the pay so you do get paid 52 weeks for a 39 week work.

Our local council pays £6.29

If you look on your local council website job page it should shows job adverts and wage. Although our local site showed most jobs at end of june for sept start.
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Hi,

I work in a school, though in Admin, not as a dinner lady. I have the holidays off but i get paid the same amount over the year. So even though i haven't worked at all in August i will still get paid the same as all the other months.

Sorry i can't help with the salary though.

Jannine
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • Just a thought if my wife works 1.5 hrs per day = 7.5 week as a dinner lady and pay is £6.25 approx per hour, will she have to pay tax & NI. ??
  • Janetew
    Janetew Posts: 107 Forumite
    I work as an after school play assistant. I get £6.30 an hour, and work 6 hours a week. I don't pay tax or NI as I don't earn above my personal allowance of £6,470.
  • will this help working as a dinner lady move onto a teaching / classroom assistant in the next 12 months or so?
  • narabanekeater
    narabanekeater Posts: 1,892 Forumite
    Im pretty sure a classroom asssitant needs formal training
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There is fierce competition for classroom assistants. In the main they seem to start with people getting voluntary/unpaid placements while waiting to go on, then going on, some formal course.

It's a sought after job by parents because it fits in with school hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure