Co-operative membership card

Options
I couldn't find a thread on this, but if there is one could someone let me know :beer:

Does anyone have the co-operative membership/ loyalty card?
Is it worth it? It says it costs £1 taken from your share of the profits - how much is a typical share of the profits?
Any good/ bad experiences?

http://www.co-operative.coop/membership/

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It all depends on how much you spend, bit like a tesco clubcard.
  • debidoodle
    debidoodle Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    Options
    I have one there are a number of benefits throughtout the year with different savings on items 10% off furniture, 5% electrical etc. I must confess to not buying a lot of groceries unless it is a very good offer etc.
  • markyb33
    markyb33 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have one, and though i don't shop much at co-op because there is not a local store i do bank with smile and to my surprise last year vouchers arrived for co-op stores for £48.65. I just spent them before they ran out in December at the pharmacy and now have another £18 for 6 months. So yes I'd say its definately worth it ...
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I spend around £20-£30 a week in the Co-op, usually remember to hand over my card, and got about £11 of vouchers last time. The payout varies each period as it's based on the profits of the group, just like a shares dividend (in fact I've always know this scheme as 'the divi' from my Grandma - it's been going for years).

Admittedly it's not as high a percentage as Tesco etc, and it can only be used instore, but it's not like it costs anything to do, other than the £1 sign-up.

The member days are useful too - usually 10% weekends 2 or 3 times a year for non-food (everything from a newspaper to a fridge or wardrobe)

Each Co-operative group will have a different card - worth checking if you're near a 'border' - our Co-op store runs the blue card, but the newly taken over Co-op chemist 200yards round the corner is on the yellow card as it's in a different group - and the two can't be combined, so if you're in a similar position, you need to decide if you want to sign up to both groups, or just the one you'd use more often.

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have one and have for about four years, the first year I got a small amount back from it, then I moved away from an stores which used the scheme, but when I started reusing the card this year I found out that they want you to pay the £1 a year even for the two years I didnt use it at all, so I'm not sure if its still worth me using it, I only buy odd bits from there so might not earn enough points to cover the £3 membership fee over the next 12 months (usually milk for work every couple of weeks). Might be worth baring in mind if you stop using it for any reason.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I want to buy a washing machine from co-op electrical store, if i sign up for this then i would get 5% off, is that right?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends on what Co-op you're buying it from.

Gunsandbanjos, notice you're in Edinburgh and most of the Co-ops there are Scotmid. They are a Co-operative, but not part of the Co-op Group and therefore they won't accept a Co-op card
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would be buying it from their online electrical store. Would that work?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • denton6
    denton6 Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be buying it from their online electrical store. Would that work?
    yer it should do.
    wendy x
  • K9ine
    K9ine Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's the yellow 'Bee' Membership card the £1 sign-up is just taken once, NOT yearly. It's actually a legal requirement to have a payment for membership if a companies profits are to be shared. In the Isle of Man this type of scheme is NOT allowed and they just have loyalty points at a fixed rate.

The Co-op payout has so far always exceeded Tesco clubcard standard payout percentage, but is less than the clubcard deals percent. The Co-operative membership vouchers can be exchanged for cash and do NOT have to be used instore. Occasionally you are also entered into a prize draw.

Other co-operative societies may be different, for example 'Southern Co-ops' have a members day at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard after attending a short members meeting, and buffet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure