The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Available extra benefits on DLA??

Hi all,

My son gets DLA for his ADHD, we have just found out (by chance) that we can get a CEA Card (Cinema Card) to allow the carer in for free. From peoples experiences what other benefits can we get to make the pennies go a little bit further?? We are on child tax and working tax credits + carers.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Different schemes require different things. Some want DLA, some want a BB. Check out all the local services and amenities that you might want to use - e.g. our local swimming pool gives free swimming to families with children with DLA (but not adults), Wightlink do a disabled scheme which caps the price on ferry crossings with a BB etc. If they don't have a stated policy but it's a service you would like to use then ring and ask, the worst they can do is say no!
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Hi
    have you had a look at the family fund wedsite.

Also, would you be eligable for a blue badge.
    back to comping :beer:
  • I mentioned the CEA card on another thread and also the fact that our local council has a wider scheme which includes all council facilities as well as the theatre and several other private attractions. Check you council website or call you social work department to ask.

Depending on how good your social work team is they might also be able to give you information about specific local funds that give out small grants for holidays etc.

For us Contact a Family http://www.cafamily.org.uk/ have been great with advice and getting small grants for things you wouldn't otherwise afford.
  • You can also get on trains with a disability card as well as the pictures (same sort of thing from what I can gather).

Good luck

Angela
    !!!!!! happens!!!:D
  • daska
    Forumite
    angecull31 wrote: »
    You can also get on trains with a disability card as well as the pictures (same sort of thing from what I can gather).

Good luck

Angela

Yes, you can get a disabled railcard which gives you 30% off OR...

if you are in a wheelchair, and stay in it thoughout the journey you are entitled to 50% off WITHOUT A RAILCARD. Some rail companies are better than others. Rail agents (e.g. ferry companies) don't always know this rule and will therefore refuse to give you the discount. The best ploy I have found is to buy a 'permit to travel' and then buy your ticket on the train. The conductors (on Southern at least) know the rules better than the ticket office staff and are very helpful!
    48 down, 22 to go
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cea card, blue badge discount rail card ,cheap gym and swimming , days out discount ect.
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • Pete268
    Pete268 Posts: 219 Forumite
    daska wrote: »
    Yes, you can get a disabled railcard which gives you 30% off OR...

if you are in a wheelchair, and stay in it thoughout the journey you are entitled to 50% off WITHOUT A RAILCARD. Some rail companies are better than others. Rail agents (e.g. ferry companies) don't always know this rule and will therefore refuse to give you the discount. The best ploy I have found is to buy a 'permit to travel' and then buy your ticket on the train. The conductors (on Southern at least) know the rules better than the ticket office staff and are very helpful!

Please do be wary when attempting to use this discount though, as the only ticket types the train companies are obliged to offer using this discount are:
    Ticket Type
    Discount
    First Class/Standard Anytime Singles or Returns
    34% off
    First Class/Standard Anytime Day Single
    34% off
    First Class/Standard Anytime Day Return
    50% off
    source: http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/making-rail-travel-easier#wheelchairuserconcessions

As these are all 'Anytime' tickets they are generally amongst the most expensive tickets available. Much cheaper 'advance' and even the no need to pre-book 'Off Peak' fares can often work out a lot cheaper than using this discount (They can work out even cheaper with a disabled railcard).

This is particularly so with the various long haul journeys on such as National Express East Coast, Virgin West Coast etc.

I am a wheelchair user who has been caught our before by this, and it would have worked out much cheaper using the pre book Advance or even Off Peak tickets (even without a disabled railcard to the tune of over £70 for a journey on the East Coast - the saving being even greater with a railcard) for exactly the same journey on the same train!.

Peter
  • daska
    Forumite
    Yes, the companies operate this scheme very differently. Southern will allow it on all ticket types including saver returns and will also allow you to use your mobility scooter, SouthWest trains will only grant it on the specific fares specified above and only if you're in a wheelchair. Where I get on is a SouthWest station but a Southern train - hence buying the permit to travel (so travelling legally) but buying my ticket from Southern...

If you're planning your travel in advance then yes, you can get some massive discounts that greatly outweigh the 50% - e.g. £15 from Manchester to Portsmouth!
    48 down, 22 to go
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    There are lots of things to do, if you have a local ADHD support group then join it and you'll get notice of all the local groups offering discount. Also check your local county council website as ours issues and Additional Needs Card and we get lots of things through this (cheap bowling, days out, etc...)

Also days out, almost everywhere in the UK gives discounted disabled admission and the carer goes free. Also, if your child does not understand queuing - my son does not but he has Autism and ADHD - you can get Exit Passes which get you onto the ride at the exit so there is minimal queuing. TBH we would not bother otherwise, he had to wait for the rope at the Gym the other day and ended up on the floor sceaming and crying over it (with all the other mums staring and giving me 'the look'). Also, Zoo's, swimming pools (he is a member of my Health Club for free and he is allowed a carer for free too), reduced admission to the local soft play. The list is endless.

Take your DLA forms as proof, or a docs letter with his diagnosis on it, and you'll be fine. Chessington World of Adventures have a database and you go on it once and then just take ID for the future to get the exit passes. Disneyland Paris also recocognise these and you can get a GAC pass, and in the US they recognise the UK Blue Badge.

If in doubt call the place you are going and ask them what they offer. We have had days out for the first time in years since his diagnosis because he cannot do the standing around side of it, if he has had enough we can go home and we have done enough to make it worthwhile.
  • If you live in London, you can get a Taxicard, which allows big discounts on taxi fares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure