Trial shift as a waitress - should I be paid etc?

My title says it all really. Have been offered a trial shift at the local pub as a waitress for Saturday lunchtime. Is it likely that I will be paid for this? Have never worked in a pub before and not sure how long a shift is usually either.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
£997.87/£2020

Comments

• speranza
    speranza Posts: 147 Forumite
    Yes, you should absolutely get paid. I was always paid when I worked trial shifts and then didn't go back (not because they didn't want me, but you'll know within one shift whether it's somewhere you want to work!).

Do find out how long they expect you to work though as otherwise they'll have you there all day (unless you're so useless at it that you get in the way ;))

Also find out whether you'll get a cut of the tips (it's a bit cheeky, but you have to be with waitressing otherwise you will get taken advantage of in most places).
    :DStudent MoneySaving Club Member Number 007! :D
  • poppycracker
    poppycracker Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with speranza, whether or not its a trial shift, you're still working and you should get paid for the shift. If it's only lunchtime, it'll likely be 4 hours, but don't quote me on that, so do ask first.
    DFW Nerd no 239.....Last Personal Debt paid off Nov 2012!
    Donated 50 pints so far.... gold badge got 17/11/13! Blood Group O+
    mummy to 3 cats, 2 budgies and a cockatiel
  • Check with them, I used to waitress in a Beefeater, not all the waitresses got a wage, several of them worked for tips only. You got your own section of the restaurant to run.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Check with them, I used to waitress in a Beefeater, not all the waitresses got a wage, several of them worked for tips only. You got your own section of the restaurant to run.

isn't that illegal now we have minimum wage :confused:
  • looby75 wrote: »
    isn't that illegal now we have minimum wage :confused:

Not entirely.... as long as the tips equate to the minumum wage, or if not then the company has to pay the difference to make it up to the minimum wage. Also in this way the tips are PAYE taxed, and you don't have to declare them yourself. (because you are supposed to in the eye of the law!)

Yes you should be paid for your your trial shift. Make sure that you have all your details with you, such as bank, NI number etc, so if you don't want to return they have no excuse not to pay you. They can pay you by cheque though if they don't have the details.

I guess it depends on what company you are working for- if it's a big chain, then you will definately get paid. If it's a freehold, or very small company then they may choose to pay you cash for your first shift.

And bang on about the tips- ask about these immediately. The level of tips that you will get will depend on the type of service given (ie how much waiting you will do on the customers and the way you treat them!) and they type of food that comes out of the kitchen. Ie fresh, cooked properly etc.

A good place will sort out the tips at the end of every shift, so the workers at that time will get it. These may be divided between the entire staff or some other manner. You may have your own float and have to deal with cash yourself, or it may go through the till as normal. Many different ways- but DO be brash about the tips. I harp on, as where I last worked the boss took over £400 from our tips without our permission!!! Plus she was always dipping into them, along with other staff. If you can, keep yours to yourself, or make sure that you get your cut before you go home.

Lunchtime could be anything from 10.30-6, 11-3, 1-6. You'll see when you get there. Whatever you accept to do now in hours wise, be careful as you will always be expected to it in the future. And you will always be expected to do more!

Good luck!
  • katiepoppycat
    katiepoppycat Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    a quick bit of advice - I used to work for a chain of restaurants that used to do this unpaid trial thing - until a directive came down from head office banning it as it turned out that if you weren't paid you weren't covered on the company insurance should you have any sort of accident.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure