PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The best mince pie pastry ever?

Comments

• tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    thanks for the recipie OP, have got some mince pies to make today, and am going to have a bash with this- although i'll have to use half lard/half butter as i dont have any trex.

will update later :D
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • researcher wrote:
    My elderly neighbour has at last given me her recipe for her mince pies. Do try it, I promise you will be surprised by how excellent it is. I will reproduce it exactly as she taught me yesterday.

Yield - 3 dozen pies.

1 lb Self raising Flour
    8 oz Trex
    4 oz caster sugar
    1 egg
    little water

2 jars mincemeat.

Rub fat into flour and sugar until resembling fine breadcrumbs. Lightly beat the egg, and mix in with a knife adding a little water. Resulting paste should be smooth and soft and very pliable. No need to rest in fridge.

Roll out thinly, you will need plenty of flour as the pastry is quite sticky - this is correct as it will 'thicken' slightly when cooking.

Line your mince pie tins with the pastry (greased with trex), we used a pallett knife and place a spoonful of mince in each, place on pastry tops and seal gently with finger tips (no added liquid necessary). Be careful, this pastry is soft to work with.

Cook at appx 180/90c until lightly golden. (Appx 20 - 25 mins, but will depend on your oven).

Leave pies in tins to cool for a few minutes and then place a wire rack on top and tip over - tap the bottoms of each pie and they will slip out. (Don't attempt to hook out with a knife - they will break!) Then you can turn them up the right way to cool.

Sprinkle with a little sugar if preferred.

This pasty will be crisp, yet crumbly - keeps and freezes exceptionally well and her pies are legendary - she is asked to make 100's each year.

Happy eating :D
    Hi Researcher, I am going to make some mincepies tonight, just wanted to make sure that i will be using the right flour, The recipe states Self raising flour, is it supposed to be SR or should it be Plain flour that is normally used for shortcrust pastry. Just wanted to check. Thanks a harrassed demented
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • tankgirl1
    well made mince pies this aft- got 32 from the recipie, and they are delish! had rave reviews off my mum, which is saying something, as she is the mince pie queen in these parts :rotfl:

so thanks again OP :T
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

• tankgirl1
    demented wrote:
    Hi Researcher, I am going to make some mincepies tonight, just wanted to make sure that i will be using the right flour, The recipe states Self raising flour, is it supposed to be SR or should it be Plain flour that is normally used for shortcrust pastry. Just wanted to check. Thanks a harrassed demented

its supposed to be SR flour. at least thats what i used, and they turned out fab :)

hth

• Thank you tankgirl1, :T I wasn't sure about the flour and didn't want to faff about using the wrong flour. I am now off to make the pies, I have just finished making some Chicken Liver pate, and tomorrow i am going to make the dog some Biscuits from a recipe that i have just come across.
    Thanks for you help. A not nearly so harrassed demented.

:T :T
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just logged on - yes it is self raising flour - I was really surprised too - by now you'll be getting the first lot out of the oven - hope they're delicious?
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    demented wrote:
    and tomorrow i am going to make the dog some Biscuits from a recipe that i have just come across.
    :T :T

Ooooo dog biscuits......are they low fat..................doggie has an ermm slight weight problem! these could be her Christmas present:D .......... . Could you share receipe with me please - on another thread of course;) . Thanks!

:xmastree: :xmassign:
  • BusyGirl
    BusyGirl Posts: 843
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I made a batch with some help from my two daughters this afternoon. WOW! They are the best (even when made by me)! I feel like a domestic godess and I can't wait to give them to my visitors tomorrow. :j
    Thanks again!
  • Hi all. just want to say thanks for sharing this recipe. I made two dozen this morning as a tester for xmas and I have to say they are great!! My family and friends all will be getting boxes of these for xmas this year
    doing what I do best...trying!!-- lainey :j
    Proud to be a Wooligan
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The lovely lady who gave me this recipe is going through a very tough time at the moment. Both her son and DIL were diagnosed with terminal cancer within weeks of each other.

Whatever your creed or beliefs please send her your blessing, prayers or just a good thought.

Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure