Chimney Repointing

My neighbour pointed out to me the state of my chimney, I never look up there.

Its all crumbling with loose bits of brick all over the roof, she said it has worsened since the high winds a week or two ago.

I don't know what trade will do this repair?

I've searched for chimney repair, chimney pointing ect on internet

Rang a few numbers on Yell.com, but no one seems interested to look at the job?

Saying things like, oh i'm busy or i'm with a customer, do you want to ring back etc...

So, does anyone know how i can get a few quotes for this job.

(I've also posted it on my workman.com with no replys)

Also, is this something i can claim on house insurance for?

What might it cost?

Thanks for any advice offered.

I'm in warrington WA4 area

Comments

• We had a local roofer repoint our chimney for us.
    It won't be covered by insurance, because it will come under general maintenance.
    Sorry can't reccomend anyone in your area - you are best asking around friends and neighbours to see if they have had similar work done in the past and can reccomend someone
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need a builder, how much, depends on how big they are and how complex. Is removing them totally an option? should be cheaper, just add a few more tiles.
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    A bricky will do this for you no probs, or a general builder! A general labourer can do the work!
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    One thing that can make this a resonably expensive task is that you might need scafolding.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    A jobbing builder/brickie/roofer/ chimney liner are all the sorts of trades that could do the work. But some wont want to be climbing about on roofs when this time is traditionally busy for builders anyway. Have a look on My Builder site. You can enter the job details and ask for quotes and then check out their refs online.

http://www.mybuilder.com/postajob
  • i_love_it
    i_love_it Posts: 848 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the tips, i've arrange a few quotes. Is the home insurance definaltely a no go? Is it worth ringing them and stating weather damage? i'm worried about high costs, possible scaffoling etc...
    Any Ideas of a range of cost, perhaps from someone who's had a simular job, or carries out this type of work?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    A small one man band firm will probably just use their own ladders and chimney scaffolding, not the full scaffold a big company would want.

Get your quotes :)

Re the insurers, you can try but its likely they wont contribute as it will be seen as wear and tear. But have a go.
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    almost no chance on the insurance. Good luck!
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    It's an easy enough job to do yourself if you can get up there safely. I did both chimneys myself but I do live in a bungalow with a low pitched roof, so access was very easy.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    No you can't claim it on your home insurance, unless its something like storm damage. From your description, it's simply wear and tear over decades.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport