Virgin mobile - poor signal

My wife WAS with Virgin mobile but we've had to by out the contract to leave them.

Basically their signal was so poor at our home she could only get a signal when the phone was left on 1 or 2 window sills in the house.

However they would not allow us to end the contract without penalty (on the grounds they cannot supply the service) as we did not complain within the first 14 days of the contract. Thing is the signal was ok back then. There has obviously been a change in the area and the signal became worse.

Anyway, their excuse was that although the phone could not be used at home it could still be used "in our area". Not much use if I send her a text message and she's at home as she doesn't get it until she goes out, if at all!

Anyway, I feel sure Virgin should allow us to cancel the contract on the basis they were failing to provide the service and that should apply to our home address, not just our postal code.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Can you get a signal with the phone provider that she's not changed to? (just making sure it's just a Virgin problem and not a localised problem!).

It seems really unfair that they charged you to cancel the contract given that you couldn't receive a service! (my mate used to live in a mobile phone black hole, so had a pay-as-you-go phone instead of a contract one, as otherwise it's a waste of money!) Personally, I would have demanded either a free cancellation, or given them 14 days to re-instate the signal!

I guess it would be worth a try writing to their customer complaints department and seeing what they say.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Getting 1 or 2 bars at the window is acceptable surely as you are receiving a signal, if you go outside i presume it gets even better signal.

Its the same at my property
  • I am with orange and have a full signal.

Virgin had NO signal in the house at all! Not even 1 bar! Hence if she was at home and phoned the mobile it went to the "this persons phone may be switched off" message.

Virgins excuse is you can only cancel a contract due to poor signal if you alert them of it in the first 14 days. As the signal quality changed after 9 months they claim it's tough luck.
  • Pain in the Bottom. I am in a similar situation. I am with 3. I have always had iffy signal with my previous phones with them, but just enough to get by while indoors if the phones were in a specific place (usualy near a window with speaker phone on so I don't have to move it).

I recently had an upgrade to a Viewty and the signal is even worse on that, plus, no one can hear me on the speaker phone, so I can't even put it near a window with speaker phone on! My Sony Ericsson had much better signal (though still bad!).

Maybe you should try using a different phone? If you can get one to just try out, borrow a freinds or something, see if the phone is the problem?

I am considering just selling my viewty now, to someone in an area with a strong signal, and just using my old phone again as I doubt I will be able to cancel the contract or get a different phone from 3 to try out. Dangerous things these mobile phone contracts. There should be more consumers can do to hold the providers to account for poor service/unfit phones. I'm tied in for 18 months too.

Am looking into it, will post more if I find anything helpfull.
  • Just to add that Virgin actually use the T-Mobile network. So if you are thinking of changing to another network don't choose them, because the signal quality will be the same as with Virgin.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • im with virgin and i have the exsact same problem. not a single bar of signal in my house whatsoever. phoned up virgin about it (after a five minute walk down the street) and was told the same thing... as long as they can provide a service outside our house then i dont have a leg to stand on. my mobile phone is practically useless as i m seldom out of the house.
  • beeware
    beeware Posts: 1 Newbie
    I signed up with Virgin 5 months ago and the first month reception was good anywhere in my town. Then I couldn't get reception during the day for most days the next 2 months. I kept calling customer service and they attempted to solve the problem including sending me a replacement phone, which didn't get reception at the exact same time my original phone didn't. So sent it back.

Six months later they won't do anything to help me as reception is still more off than on. I believe they have a scam going on. Get you into their plans then you're screwed. I believe they are falsely advertising. It's criminal what these companies get by with.
  • james2012_2
    james2012_2 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Another one!
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    horrorhag wrote: »
    im with virgin and i have the exsact same problem. not a single bar of signal in my house whatsoever. phoned up virgin about it (after a five minute walk down the street) and was told the same thing... as long as they can provide a service outside our house then i dont have a leg to stand on. my mobile phone is practically useless as i m seldom out of the house.

Fortunately, new technology is able to come to your rescue.

A recent invention called 'a landline' will enable you to reliably make and receive calls whilst within your home at a much lower rate* than you or your callers can using a mobile.

* Unless you are one of those people who buys into the nonsense that you get 'free' minutes if you pay the mobile company £x per month. :D
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • I recently changed from Orange to Virgin but now have signal strength probs, I thought that I would be OK as Orange share with T-mobile and Virgin piggyback off T-mobile.
    Is it possible that T-mobile reduce Virgins reception somehow, or any other reason?
    TIA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport