PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Comments

• @ Valli – Thanks!

@ Lilyplonk – Thank you for the warm welcome! You hit the nail on the head with the “naughty little boy” comment! I cannot wait for him to clear his debts, so the main focus financially can be on saving for a holiday abroad. So funny your OH alerts you to Martin on TV! Hopefully mine will start alerting me too as I am usually in the kitchen!!

@ Fruball – Thank you for your welcome & loving your username!!

@ vanoonoo – Thanks!

@ Butterfly Brain – Thank you and yes hoping he will overtake me with bargains!

@ meritaten – Thanks and your OH sounds funny! The fact you trust him now with the weekly shop must be a great weight off your shoulders & I am hoping I do not have to wait 36 years to be able to trust mine to do it!!
    !
    @ louby40 – Hi & welcome to you too! Sorry to hear about your OH but glad you have already found 1 way to reduce on your food shopping! If you haven’t already seen them, there are some great threads on meal planning/batch cooking/meals on a budget in this forum, lots of ideas for eating well for less money.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself

I've been lurking on the MSE forums for a while, but have just registered, and hope to contribute a little.

I'm 52, married no children. I worked full time until a couple of years ago, when I was made redundant after 28 years in the same job.

I was very lucky in that I took a pension as part of my redundancy settlement, which meant I could work part time. I now work on Thursdays and Fridays, so the rest of the time is for my own interests.

I've become a keen eBayer, which originally brought me to the MSE forums, but I love reading and family history too, so spend time on those activities.

My travel passion is cruise holidays, which aren't cheap, so I'm interested in ways to keep costs down throughout the year, to help pay for the cruises.

I'm already picking up lots of tips so it's all good.

Although I love travel, I love my home too, so I've found OS a really interesting and helpful place.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Hi, I work part time and spend the rest of the time with my children who are 4 and 5.

I've been married for 12 years. I would love to start travelling now the kids are getting older as it's one of my regrets having not done any whilst I was younger.

I enjoy watching speedway and having family days out.
  • bev62 wrote: »
    I am always skint - but always have food in the cupboard.

That about sums us up too, no money, but no one in this house ever goes hungry!

I'm a full time mum to a beautiful 18 month old girl, and part time newsagent (mother in law does the childcare in exchange for red wine). Bloke works full time in the city - he cycles in, almost 13 miles each way every day.

We are constantly thinking of ways to improve our heating efficiency, buy less in the weekly shop, shop around for best deals and entertain the baby for nothing. Having been an avid lurker and email recipient for a while, thought I'd jump in and check out more of the site.

Hello! :beer:
  • Hi all

I have lurked for a while, and finally joined the grocery challenge in December, failed fairly miserably....mostly because OH wasn't on board, but now he is!

I work full time and commute 45-60 minutes each way so I often (although becoming less often) go for quick options for tea. I am 25, live with my boyfriend (27) and our rescue dog (2)! Although we don't have debts, we also don't save much and it is this that I am hoping to change.
    Kitchen Debt - 2820/260
    Save £12k in 2013 #060: 1293.24/3000
    MFW: 88760.00/85000.00 (4.24% paid)
  • Hi everyone,

Finally, after many years lurking and occassionally posting, this year is the time to get tough with our finances.
    I will be losing approx £3000 from take home pay from Jan 2014 due to a change of terms of employment so luckily I've got this year to drastically reduce outgoings.

There is me and hubby, 2 teenagers and 2 hamsters in our house.
    We both work full time and are very lucky to have a reasonable income but this leaves us time poor. We spend what we earn, have no savings but have no debt either, except the mortgage, oh and 10 months car loan left to pay!

I am starting with the Grocery challenge. We spend £90 a week despite meal planning and shopping with a list so looking to cut this. I read old style topics daily so know that I can cut this hopefully to £70 saving £1000 a year :)

Thank you to all who post on the forums, its inspiring and motivating to read how other people manage to save money or cutback.

HAPPY NEW YEAR :beer:
    Working hard to to pay off the mortgage within 5 years instead of 9 by considering every penny spent. Aiming to go part time the and enjoy a simple life with simple pleasures!
  • Hi everyone,

I've introduced myself before but since then I've been awol from the OS boards and things have changed as they always do!

I'm 22 now - shocking, I think I was about 17 if not younger the first time I popped up on here! Living with my bf, 27, and we have a little shih tzu who will be 2 in March :) Bf has CP, works P/T and plays wheelchair rugby so we are always busy to manic extremes!

Rejoining the grocery challenge from January with a budget of £150 for everything for all of us (doglet supplies, all food and drink, non-food groceries and toiletries etc).

Will be about a fair bit as I'm trying to get a job at the moment - 12 months on the job hunt and still nothing at the moment! So will contribute where I can and will be gleaming as much knowledge as I can from you all. I have a graduate loan (PCDL) which I'm repaying over 5 years but I would love to be able to save up enough to overpay and get rid of it early!

Nice to meet you all again!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Welcome to 'past lurkers' and 'returnees' :wave:.

Looking forward to reading your posts and learning from YOUR contributions as well :).

Good Luck with all your Old-Style Plans for 2013!
  • Hello all, pleased to meet you.

I am lucky enough not to be in debt, but I will soon end up that way if I do not regain control of my spending.

I earn a reasonable wage and am not overtly extravagant or self indulgent, but I don't watch what I spend on the day to day stuff or plan ahead and budget in anyway.

Wine and takeaways are two of my biggest money pits, so I have joined the January Grocery challenge to try and get those under quick control. Should help with my attempts to lose weight with Slimming World too.

RR
    January Grocery Challenge £80 / £80 - Jan 1st to 31st NSDs: Jan 04/10
    SW good behaviour day: Jan 07/31Runs 5/13
  • Welcome Run Rabbit - hope the grocery challenge can help out a bit with shopping spending - just ask if you have any questions :)

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure