Free Sat Nav on Android

helcat26
helcat26 Posts: 1,119
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 26 January 2016 at 1:23PM in Freebies (no spend required)
Official MoneySavingExpert Insert Jan 16

You can now download the Navmii app directly as well as Waze.

Back to the helcat26's original post..

http://www.expansys.com/navfree/
from Expansys
NavFree is the world’s first FREE "onboard" professional GPS navigation software, with
turn-by-turn directions, voice guidance, auto-rerouting, live "Google" search, for the iPhone & iPad.
Simply enter your details below and we'll send you a link to the latest Android. Please open the link on an Android device to install the software (Android 2.2 or higher is supported). You can download and install maps after the software installation. Then you don't need to be connected to the Internet to navigate the maps

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• vanq1
    vanq1 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Is this the full App or a 'lite' version?
    Is it full of ads?

Has anyone tried it?
  • I downloaded this from: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL (don't need to enter details like phone number, email like on expansys)

I can't recall if it has ad's but if it does they are not very noticeable.

You need 300MB free space (on SD card) to download the UK map.

I haven't actually tried using it for planning a route yet though but the link above has some reviews.
    3010 Posts: 5,420
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 22 April 2012 at 8:31AM
    vanq1 wrote: »
    Is this the full App or a 'lite' version?
    Is it full of ads?

Has anyone tried it?

I find this app very useful on my iphone. The only adverts it has are the little strips at the bottom when you go into menus. There are no ads on the maps when you are using it.
  • jules888
    jules888 Posts: 552
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Got me to sons away footie match ok!
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I downloaded it a while ago, it also has walking directions which is very useful to me! I do not have a sim in my tab so anything that manages to give directions without one is good for me!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Tried NavFree and it is quite good, I have recently changed to Waze. As well as being a satnav it allows you to report traffic issues...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en

"When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute!
    Features:
    * Real-time traffic information and road reports + notifications when approaching police traps, speed cams, heavy traffic or hazards on the road
    * Free GPS & traffic-avoiding navigation featuring voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions
    * Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change to save you time and gas
    * The ability to create or join local driving groups, plus the option to link up with other drivers for carpooling
    * Foursquare, Twitter & Facebook integration, plus fun, geo-gaming elements
    * The most fun way time on the road save money on gas
    How Does it Work?
    Just like your standard GPS device! After typing in your destination address, just drive with the app open on your phone to passively contribute traffic and other road data, but you can also take a more active role by sharing road reports on accidents, police traps, or any other hazards along the way, helping to give other users in the area a 'heads-up' about what's to come."
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tried NavFree and it is quite good, I have recently changed to Waze. As well as being a satnav it allows you to report traffic issues...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en

"When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute!
    Features:
    * Real-time traffic information and road reports + notifications when approaching police traps, speed cams, heavy traffic or hazards on the road
    * Free GPS & traffic-avoiding navigation featuring voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions
    * Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change to save you time and gas
    * The ability to create or join local driving groups, plus the option to link up with other drivers for carpooling
    * Foursquare, Twitter & Facebook integration, plus fun, geo-gaming elements
    * The most fun way time on the road save money on gas
    How Does it Work?
    Just like your standard GPS device! After typing in your destination address, just drive with the app open on your phone to passively contribute traffic and other road data, but you can also take a more active role by sharing road reports on accidents, police traps, or any other hazards along the way, helping to give other users in the area a 'heads-up' about what's to come."

I have just discovered this app so will be testing it out locally. How have you found it? is it as good as the hype?

Sy..
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Analyst
    Analyst Posts: 1,519
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Android comes with sat nav built in, so you do not need to download another app.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Android's sat nav (I'll ignore any HTC/Samsung own brand stuff) downloads maps on the go (though there is a way to pre-cache) so there's a risk that you'll go over any data allowance, or, be in the middle of nowhere, with no data connection, and no map!
    Nav-Free, as mentioned above, stores the map on your phone more like a traditional sat nav device, so has a distinct advantage.
    Depends where you travel of course, but I've found it to be very good for travelling with good guidance and maps, and a clear display and quick GPS update. A lot of this depends on what device you run it on of course.
    I also like Waze, which is sortof social sat nav, where you help create the mapping, and can report traffic jams and roadworks etc to other Waze users. Mapping and guidance is pretty good, but navigation isn't as full featured by a long way. Good for keeping you updated with traffic on the commute without waiting for a traffic report on the radio though!
  • Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Been using Nav Free for a year or so now, on both 3GS and S2 and find it great - takes a while to get the TomTom style out of my head having used that for years but like this one -Android version still a little behind the ios version but its catching up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure