Using HSBC Internet Banking to pay off a credit card

Another dumb question, I do apologise.

I have HSBC internet banking. I want to make a credit card repayment through it. In their 'make a payment' section HSBC give you two options - enter a name, sort code and account number manually, or you can select something off a list.

My credit card (Post Office Mastercard) is listed on there. If I choose that and put my credit card number as the reference will the payment actually go to the right place?! There's no details (like sort code and account number) it literally just says Post Office M/C and then you type in your reference and amount you want to pay.

Comments

• Not a dumb question! I was always very worried about this, one slip of the finger typing the reference number and your money gets lost in the ether of the CC company's clearing account. I try to avoid paying this way whenever possible, most companies will let you pay by debit card on-line or over the phone, much more sure of the money getting to the right place that way.

I would say use the sort-code and account number from the CC bill, that way you know its going to the right place. Don't forget the Payment Ref!
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've used it and it's been fine.

But do be careful the next time you use it! Once I paid my sister's credit card, then a while later wanted to pay my own. It showed past transactions, I went to repay the same one (it looked like it was mine, and I'd forgotten it wasn't!) and accidentally paid off my sister's credit card again. Luckily her statement comes through 2 weeks before mine, and she mentioned the mystery payment to her account. As it was for the same amount and date as my payment I realised what had happened, and managed to pay my credit card in time.

Long boring story, but kinda relevant :)
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have HSBC internet banking. I want to make a credit card repayment through it. In their 'make a payment' section HSBC give you two options - enter a name, sort code and account number manually, or you can select something off a list.

My credit card (Post Office Mastercard) is listed on there. If I choose that and put my credit card number as the reference will the payment actually go to the right place?

Yes, it works and I have paid off my own Post Office credit card like that in the past using my HSBC account.

I guess HSBC prefer you to use their 'preset' ones - as it avoids the possibility of its customers mistyping the details.. though like you I do wish HSBC would show the sort/account number the money is going to - as the first time anyone uses their system I imagine they would be a bit nervous if its going to the right place :)

Regards
    Sunil
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    ...the first time anyone uses their system I imagine they would be a bit nervous if its going to the right place :)
    ...which is why I always make a test payment (of £1) to any new account. That way, I can test the conduit/time the transfer before making any sizable transfers.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,668
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Another tick in the box from me for HSBC's system. Been using their internet banking from the start and it's always been fine with the drop-down menus, never had a payment go wrong with it.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ...which is why I always make a test payment (of £1) to any new account. That way, I can test the conduit/time the transfer before making any sizable transfers.

Bah humbug, beat me to it.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Another dumb question, I do apologise.

My credit card (Post Office Mastercard) is listed on there. If I choose that and put my credit card number as the reference will the payment actually go to the right place?! There's no details (like sort code and account number) it literally just says Post Office M/C and then you type in your reference and amount you want to pay.

I was going to make a thread about this. It seems they (HSBC) have made it harder for people to pay off a HSBC credit card from their HSBC current account - by taking off the 'credit card account' from their 'make a payment list'. It used to be there as i used to pay off my credit card that way when i had sufficient funds available. But recently this option mysteriously vanished.
    I can only assume that they hope to make more money on credit card interest by making it less simple to pay off.
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • gt94sss2
    Forumite
    Infidel wrote: »
    I was going to make a thread about this. It seems they (HSBC) have made it harder for people to pay off a HSBC credit card from their HSBC current account - by taking off the 'credit card account' from their 'make a payment list'. It used to be there as i used to pay off my credit card that way when i had sufficient funds available. But recently this option mysteriously vanished.
    I can only assume that they hope to make more money on credit card interest by making it less simple to pay off.

If I choose 'Make a Payment' and 'Pay a bill or organisation' then I am offered the following options first (as i always have been)?

Cards - HSBC
    Cards - Other Mastercards
    Cards - Other Visa (A-H)
    Cards - Other Visa (I-Z)

Regards
    Sunil
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    If I choose 'Make a Payment' and 'Pay a bill or organisation' then I am offered the following options first (as i always have been)?

Cards - HSBC
    Cards - Other Mastercards
    Cards - Other Visa (A-H)
    Cards - Other Visa (I-Z)

Regards
    Sunil

Are you asking a question?

Well they changed it on my internet banking.
    They now also ask for some mysterious reference number.
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • gt94sss2
    Forumite
    With regards to other payment methods - unfortunately this is the only way I can do it. I've only had one statement so far, and it arrived so late I literally had to run straight down to the nearest Post Office with it to pay off the minimum balance in cash before it was overdue (it arrived through my letterbox at about 5 in the afternoon on the day the payment had to be made, a few minutes before my nearest branch shut for the day!

Have you considered setting up a direct debit with them for either the full or minimum payment amount..?

That reminds me - I haven't used my PO credit card since the 0% period finished - must cancel it one day..

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family