How much can you save?

Comments

• raindudu
    raindudu Posts: 111 Forumite
    I am new to this thread. Been looking at it for a while. Our taking home income between my hubby and myself is around 5k a month. We save around 2k a month. We have 1k child care to pay as well. So I think we are doing pretty good. Struggling to find any decent saving rate to put the savings though.
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 80 Forumite
    Hey all. I could definitely use some impartial advice on where to put some cash. I can currently put £450 a month into savings. I also use 'save the change' on my HBOS current account and every weekend I round my current account balance down to the nearest £50 and put it in savings. I've £1k in a virgin ISA and have been put off puting money into regular savings accounts due to having to pay tax (but I may be being silly if the interest outweighs an ISA interest substantially).
    Any advice on where I should put my money?
    Look forward to getting involved on the forum.
    :D
    Wins:
    July 2013: 1.Men's bespoke bracelet 2. Signed Primal Scream album
  • I am looking for promo codes of clothing so that I can buy jeans and shoes for winter.
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Well I aim for 3.5k for a holiday next September then after that & once debts are paid off (1st half of year) I plan to saving around £500 a month towards our move in 2015.

So 20-24 months @ £500 = 10,000 - 12,000 + 3,500 (if you can include that) = 13,500 - 15,500
  • Wanno wrote: »
    Who ever invented Time and a half was a genius. Ive decided to work overtime this weekend. Thats an extra £400 or so to add to the pot. I went a bit mad in boots last night so it's needed.

You don't need to tire yourself out with many jobs. Try to invest in stock market or bonds. Don't just let you money seat on a bank. Let them grow in trusted investments.
  • I am doing job and i have fixed amount which i keep aside every month. Its 10% of my monthly income.
  • my only advice is, continue what your doing, dont get distractd on other things. always think about your goal. you can do it!
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    This thread is really inspiring. I have cleared my debts £8,300 in nine months) and now want to buil a better emergency fund then start saving for retirement and to help our kids with university.
    I got a kick out of clearing the debt, but feel much less motivated by saving for some reason! Maybe because my goal is less clearly defined?
    I was aiming for £1,000 a month but have had to drop it to £500 a month today. My OH isn't on board, he isn't a big spender but is certainly not a planner! His income is erratic whereas mine is fixed, so I think I will have to plan based on my income only and add more as I can.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • May be it is not right place but it's nice view that you express your that be important and i think you need to get proper guidance of a financial advisor.
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Is it me or does this thread seem to have far more strange posts than other threads on the forum....? Kind of puts me off posting!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business